back to article Politicos freak out over facial recognition and deepfakes, Apple saves Drive.AI, and more

Here's your rapid-fire summary of AI-related news beyond what we've already covered lately. Google Maps can predict how long your bus is delayed: Engineers over at the Chocolate Factory have installed a new feature into Google Maps that uses machine learning to predicts how long an incoming bus will be delayed. The model, a …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Devil

So, I've got question

"The model, a neural network, works by tracking the locations of buses over time and analysing local car traffic conditions [..]"

Okay, how long until Google can predict your next bowel movement ?

I get it : all those Android phones are nothing but GIGS (Google Information Gathering Sources) and cities who sign up for Google services are CHUGS (Cities Hopelessly Underestimating Google's Sollicitude), but still, is there anything left that Google doesn't have data on ?

1. Teiwaz Silver badge

Re: So, I've got question

Okay, how long until Google can predict your next bowel movement ?

Whether the next one will be firm or squishy would be more valuable, then I'd be forwarned to have extra paper or find a bog with a bidet.

2. bob42

Minor details

It’s pretty unreliable, according to the results of the investigation.

And?

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Minor details

Anyone who's lived near a school would know it's noisy, but detecting gunshots should be more achievable. So they're typically high dB, short duration and I'd have thought easier to profile and recognise.. But then also perhaps a bit pointless, ie if someone's shooting in a school, then it's too late and there's probably only a few seconds gained before someone calls it in. Then again, AFAIK it's an offense in the US to shoot near a school, and detecting illegal gunfire might be more useful..

Or in the UK. Where I used to live, I was fairly sure I heard someone shooting, so this kind of system could potentially triangulate and let the police know, but then the police would still have to find the shooter and firearm. Not sure the cost/benefit stacks up though, especially if it's unreliable.

1. Bandikoto

Re: Minor details

Shot-tracking systems are decades old. The first one I heard of used software that processed earthquake data gathered from pole-top microphones to pin-point the shots. https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1996/0096/report.pdf Of course, this public-domain work, bought and paid for by the American public has been privatized and there's a silly valley firm selling it. https://www.policeone.com/police-products/communications/articles/1800129-More-police-using-gunfire-detection-system/

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Big Brother

Where's the ACLU when you need them?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48825761

American Cat Liberties Union

4. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Is it paranoia?

So. Suppose I'm stupid enough to be running maps on my bus on the way home. My political view are pretty well known and inimical to Antifa--which has members employed at G. I really don't like what's being set up here...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019