back to article IBM wafts stat minimum redundo terms under noses of Global Tech Services staff

IBM has fired the starting gun on voluntary redundancies for UK staff working in the Technology Support Services (TSS) unit of the Global Technology Services division (GTS). The number it is looking for? Ten. Big Blue confirmed on 7 June that globally it will chop 1,700 heads across multiple divisions. The latest cost purge, …

1. trevorde

Obvious type

must be missing at least one zero, most likely two

2. KittenHuffer

"IBM has misfired since 2012 when revenues peaked at $106.9m. In calendar 2018 the company reported turnover of $79.6bn."

Is their turnover in the Million range? Or the Billion range? There is quite a difference between the two!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Food for thought.

One day the chance to leave with some money will no longer be available. All staff in scope should submit an EOI to find out if IBM think they can do without you. There is no obligation to accept an offer and you will then know your worth to IBM.

1. ByTheSea

Re: Food for thought.

"One day the chance to leave with some money will no longer be available."

Unlikely since they are only now offering statutory redundancy terms and will be compelled to continue that offer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Food for thought.

You assume IBM will still exist.

As an ex-IBMer I will be sad to see that day.

4. BebopWeBop Silver badge

and the potential to pay for an additional pension contribution from ex-gratia payment.

that old chestnut. Still the old ones are the best ones.

5. Anna Logg

"An ex-gratia payment that equates to statutory redundancy terms" not seeing how legal minimum is ex-gratia :-/

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Is ex-gratia Latin for no-thanks ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems they are replacing western European staff with cheaper labour. Indian if possible, if not then eastern European.

Reduces costs, but as with most things there may be a future price.

7. midcapwarrior

What happens if you raise your hand and they say you can't leave.

Guess you have to hold it until the inevitable next round.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What happens if you raise your hand and they say you can't leave.

They must want you and so you should ask for a pay rise.

8. IceC0ld Silver badge

IBM has misfired since 2012 when revenues peaked at $106.9bn. In calendar 2018 the company reported turnover of $79.6bn.

now, it MAY just be me, BUT, if I was owner of a Co that was kicking up 79 BILLION of - I will assume this to be profit - then maybe I would consider it to be doing just rather damn fine, and maybe I would leave it alone ?

staff morale may not be something you can find on the bottom line, but I imagine it will have an impact on things going forward, if you were to keep trimming away ?

as I said, it may just be me though :o)

1. Steve K Silver badge

. In calendar 2018 the company reported turnover of $79.6bn.

now, it MAY just be me, BUT, if I was owner of a Co that was kicking up 79 BILLION of - I will assume this to be profit

No - it's $79.6 bn of turnover(=revenue/income).

If profits were indeed $79.6bn in this case then they would have no need to cut costs as by definition they would be zero here..

9. I'm Dugly

Is there ever any good news that comes out of IBM?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

P45 ?

( Pink slip for Yankees. )

10. hoola Bronze badge

Gobbledigook

The language these people use is just amazing. You could read the extracts from IBM and be totally unaware that they are axing jobs.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Gobbledigook

Also not clear who they are trying to fool. Wall st analysts, potential customers or their own remaining staff ?

Not sure any of them are actually that stupid.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019