back to article US-China tariff tiff has got in Huawei of beating Samsung in smartphone stakes, top brass sigh

Huawei may have reassessed its ambitions to summit the global smartphone market by 2020 due to political and economic uncertainty between the US and China. The master plan for south-China HQ'd Huawei was to follow up its stellar 2018 and, more recently, calendar Q1 shipments – up 44.5 per cent to 58.43 million units – with …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure the patriotic people of the UK will be only to happy to spend a significant sum of money on a second best alternative.

Thanks Donald.

2. bin

Trouble is that the stupid oaf is meeting with HMG today - "well, if the UK wants a trade deal with USA after brexit you'll have to ban Whoarewe...."

Still - I've no doubt Samsung are delighted with the implied endorsement from the twittering dolt.....after all Samsung components are made somewhere aren't they???

1. Nick Kew

HMG - in the person of Michael Gove - firmly ruled out a trade deal with the US.

That is to say, in the early morning of Jan. 5th this year (while attending a farmers' conference in his capacity as DEFRA minister), he absolutely ruled out dropping food production and safety standards or accepting imports produced to lower standards (a race to the bottom that would of course totally undermine UK farmers). Since that is the US red line that has prevented a US-EU trade deal (and that presents the biggest brexit problem over the Northern Ireland border), we won't be accepting a trade deal.

Not that those in his party who reject the "backstop" will accept any of that. I expect Gove would've been firmly reprimanded for his clarity if the PM or the ERG or one or two others had the mental capacity to see it.

I expect they'll continue to equivocate on Huawei (I wonder if anyone has the guts to say put up or shut up)? And aren't even some of the mainstream press starting to notice the glaring nonsense in the orange Tantrump?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

ATM there's nobody who can say what HMG's policy will be by the end of October let alone by the end of the year.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You think. It will be whatever Donald tells them to be.

1. Nick Kew

No it won't.

It's capable of idiocy and inconsistency. But it's not capable of responding fast enough to implement Donald's commands before the next tweet says something entirely different.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I'd not rule out the possibility that Huawei hit Trump with a lawsuit the day he steps down from office. A big lawsuit. The biggest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like