back to article Get out of Huawei, it's an avalanche of news from everyone's favourite Chinese bogeyman

Huawei has been kicked by a US national emergency proclamation hitting "foreign" gear, spent some cash in France, claimed it's worth billions to Britain and was described as "a potential security risk" by a former head of MI6. And that's just the last five days. With all the news-related activity around Huawei, some of which …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Placing Huawei on the US's entity list also bans it from acquiring American companies without politicians' approval"

Does this mean that they have to acquire a few politicians first?

1. Alistair Silver badge
      Windows

@Doc Syntax:

Nope, only one. Who apparently is for sale anyhow.

1. Sanguma

"Nope, only one. "

Just wait a bit and he'll be heavily discounted.

2. ABNPers

Think that's already done, don't know if how much that you can find by Google Nancy Pelosi "Chinese driver" CIA Paul Brennan and Nancys Nephew the now Governoor of California.

It's some years ago but it's possible they cleaned the internet a little bit.

Maybe check Gordon Getty and Cynthia Beck story a little also, think that maybe something happened there with (Holmby Hills) one of the 20 houses Gordon once gave his mistress and second family, but I don't know if that is officially confirmed or just rumours from conspirary theorists, so put some salt on that one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Richard Dearlove

"If Australia can blackball Huawei as its 5G provider the UK can certainly do so the same without undue concern about the consequences. And similarly demand backdoors in Whatsapp".

Or

"If Australia can blackball Huawei as its 5G provider the UK can certainly do so the same without undue concern about the consequences. We need Chinese trade even less than they do".

Or

"If Australia can blackball Huawei as its 5G provider the UK can certainly do so the same without undue concern about the consequences. 30 countries down - only another 170 countries to blackmail ^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h persuade."

Or

"If Australia can blackball Huawei as its 5G provider the UK can certainly do so the same without undue concern about the consequences. Who cares bout £1.7B? We just p****d away £3B on the Emergency Services Network overspend, and that's only what we wanted them to know."

1. macjules Silver badge

Re: Richard Dearlove

And not forgetting Sir Richard's more infamous work, a report describing a source providing details about spherical glass containers allegedly filled with chemical weapons at an establishment in Iraq, which was pretty much the pretext for the Iraqi invasion. Singled out by the Chilcot report, it drew attention to the fact that the source’s description of the device and its spherical glass contents was remarkably similar to the fictional chemical weapon portrayed in the film The Rock.

So please do excuse me for not believing one thing that gentleman says.

2. Nick Kew Silver badge

Dearlove is *the* Mr Dodgy Dossier on Iraq. Not just one of many, the lie was specifically his.

He's also *the* National Security insider (senior enough to get reported) supporting Brexit.

Oz's reason for cheerleading Trump is probably that they need US cooperation to put spies into crypto communications to implement their own snooping law. At least, without anything so crude as an outright ban on software such as Whatsapp.

3. Sanctimonious Prick
      Black Helicopters

No. No.

If Australia can have it's arm twisted by the US to toe the line, so can the UK, Canada, New Zealand.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

"if Australia can blackball Huawei as its 5G provider the UK can certainly do so the same without undue concern about the consequences".

... has to be the most inane comment from anyone who has ever had a finger in any sort of political pie. Why? What is the justification? What are the consequences that we have no 'undue concern about'?

If he had said "Brazil can blackball flushing toilets, so we can too" it would make as much sense.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well at least we don't have any Chinese nuclear reactors

That would be really serious...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well at least we don't have any Chinese nuclear reactors

.. yet that is EXACTLY what is about to happen if we are to take any attempt at reducing emissions and global heating seriously.

Now for the magnificent irony: the Chinese have done this off technology that was given to them by the Americans, but since then developer their own solutions (read: Intellectual Property) for the problems that came with it. As the US is so mega-hot on protecting IP, surely they are not going to steal the Chinese's, no?

Yeah, I don't believe they won't try either.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Gosh no there would never be an accident at a modern nuclear reactor they have *so* many safeguards it is inconceivable they could all be disabled and a dangerously unstable core configuration exploited to produce a massive explosion spreading radioactive fallout throughout the country and forever crippling our economy with containing and cleaning up the damage so you can relax and trust nuclear power to keep the lights on and your family safe in these dark times ;D

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble? Silver badge

I didn't invest several hundred hours playing Fallout 1, 2, 3, New Vegas and 4 for nothing you know. When the counrtyside is overrun with feral ghouls and the skies are filled with bloat flies, my family and I will be safe and sound with enough Nuka Cola, BlamCo Mac 'n Cheese and Sugar Bombs to see us through.

I'm off now to make sure I've kept enough Abraxo Cleaner back.

1. macjules Silver badge

Make sure you have stocked up on Mini Nukes.

4. LeahroyNake Silver badge

Oh Cr@p

I should probably get a new phone...

Or more realistically most of it is bolloc&s and the average consumer is no worse off than letting the incumbents keep spying on everything.

5. Sir Loin Of Beef

What has Huawei done exactly to create all of the scorn against them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

The clear crime is Becoming a World Leader in Technology while Not American.

Speculatively, they might have refused an "offer you can't refuse" involving NSA spyware.

1. Trollslayer Silver badge

That is why they sent a thug to tel us what to do.

Huawei was always going to be limited to the radio equipment in the UK anyway.

2. Kaufman

There is no scorn, just a lot of smear campaigning by the US and the five eyes. Otherwise, Huawei remains to be largest telecom company by far and the only one with real 5G technology.

6. anoco

Proof that Huawei is spying on people!!

Why haven't the eagle eyes at the Reg picked up on this?

"Huawei Mediapad M5 found to be snooping on engineer in Taiwan from China"

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3697098

There you have it, they're all spying on you China, Huawei, Google, Amazon, Facebook, US. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reg isn't in on this too because they're just too quiet about all this spying...

1. Nick Kew Silver badge

Re: Proof that Huawei is spying on people!!

The story is about network kit, not consumer devices.

On a consumer device, you get spied on by software. AKA spyware. See this week's whatsapp story for a really big example.

And what that article describes is perfectly normal: many things on a modern consumer device routinely communicate back home (how do you think your PC or phone knows when there's an update available for the OS or any of the apps you have installed)? It even says he uses a password manager, which explains what is keeping a backup of his passwords.

Of course the fact that it's perfectly normal doesn't preclude it *also* being shady: that's a big grey area, and a subject that regularly comes up in El Reg. But to suggest he's discovered something that wouldn't happen on any other android device in the world needs a lot more than that to justify it.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

There you have it, they're all spying on you China, Huawei, Google, Amazon, Facebook, US. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reg isn't in on this too because they're just too quiet about all this spying... ... anoco

Given the commentary freely available on El Reg, would you be surprised to discover the Register is spied upon and have been trojan horsed?

To imagine and consider ranting about it as shocking and unacceptable rather than simply accepting it as perfectly natural for inquisitive ignorant environments, is beautifully ineffective and very much in the way of a RAT [Remote Access Trojan]

Such shenanigans have been around since forever, get used to them, but the human curse is that every iteration and new generation have to learn of everything again with more and more almighty information and sensitive controlling intelligence being secured and held secret for the exclusive and divisive benefit of a self chosen few.

Or do you see it all quite differently?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not wanting to drop the ego and cooperate will be the end of us :V

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"would you be surprised to discover the Register is spied upon and have been trojan horsed?"

I'd be very disappointed if that *weren't* the case, in fact my whole game-plan goes out the window ;)

7. ricko

Purported reason why USofA don't want Huawei : "Chinese could have backdoor access to citizens' communications"

Real reason : "USA might not have backdoor access to citizens' communications"

8. Frumious Bandersnatch Silver badge

"We read this week's Huawei happenings and filleted it so you don't have to"

You're so Electric Monk, el Reg!

1. Nick Kew Silver badge
      Pint

Re: "We read this week's Huawei happenings and filleted it so you don't have to"

Nope, they're only the video recorder. The monk actually believes it; the Reg tends to scepticism.

Though there may be other subjects on which the Reg is more monk-like.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch Silver badge

Re: "We read this week's Huawei happenings and filleted it so you don't have to"

Hmm. Your handle is an anagram of "Wickken", so I'll yield to your superior magical powers in this arena.

/his[*] manuFacturer's Bond

(*or her, natch)

9. Yes Me Silver badge
    Mushroom

Trade War Declared, news at 11

Why doesn't someone report Trump to the WTO? Or the Security Council?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Re: Trade War Declared, news at 11

Trump has vetoed the WTO's continuation. Unless something changes, it ceases to function in December.

As for the Security Council, how is it their business? In any case, his is just one of five countries with a permanent veto (and it's not just Trump but his predecessors from both parties who have routinely exercised it).

2. Rupert Fiennes Silver badge

Re: Trade War Declared, news at 11

Because the WTO doesn't take "reports" on country leaders, but on countries?

Perhaps also because China is a habitual breaker of WTO rules?

I was actually travelling in China when China was admitted. People were very proud of this, but somewhat less so when I pointed out charging foreigners double that of what they charged locals was sort of illegal under WTO rules :-)

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Trade War Declared, news at 11 @Rupert Fiennes

"Perhaps also because China is a habitual breaker of WTO rules?"

Any statistics to back that claim up?

WTO maintains a list of all disputed cases.

Out of 584 cases so far, USA has been complained about 153 times (26% of all cases), China 43 times (7%). Many of these cases are still not settled after decades since the dispute was raised and I'm certainly not going to parse the list, so make of those numbers what you will.

10. Rupert Fiennes Silver badge

Interesting how history repeats itself

Huawei rebuilding the All Red Line :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Interesting how history repeats itself

The journos seem to love that historical case.

But Huawei isn't building anything. It is merely one of many suppliers to the companies (telcos) that build today's communications infrastructure.

11. Cliff Thorburn

[b]Or do you see it all quite differently?[/b]

As you would expect amFM, I for one do.

Are such RAT’s the ones on the strings?, or the ones dangling and directed by said strings?, now that IS the question.

Meanwhile directions travelled under dubious distress and duress playing battleships in SIMply dramatic battlefields of Live Operational Virtual Environments, for those squares missed through selective subjective profiling should not weep later when they realise they missed their turn through their own devious divisiveness.

You really can’t make it up though can you, someone, somewhere goes through great game expense and expanse to throw a breadcrumb, only to allow it to be whisked away in the wind.

All makes for a great ongoing script in Holy See scriptures ripe and right for laying down copyright © witness and Holywood material in mancunian mk ultra making for mass debating after all.

Kinda makes you wonder what its all about really does it not?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge
      Big Brother

"Kinda makes you wonder what its all about really does it not?"

I'm kind of leaning towards the Slartibartfast point of view myself.

12. NonSSL-Login
    Coat

Different day, different bogeyman

Yesterday it was Russia and Kersperky. Today it's Huawei and China. Who tomorrow?

America's politicians need a new boogeyman to bully to try and damage their business either out of spite or to try and get people to use home grown technology thinking it will help the economy. Its horrible politics and you would think most would see through the lies but......the blindness to reality is gob-smacking.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Different day, different bogeyman

Toyota and VW have had a roasting too. Though VW deserved it and more.

13. martinusher Silver badge

Maybe a blessing in disguise

The latest little twist is that Google has blocked Huawei from getting Andriod updates unless they're open source code (and Huawei phones from Google Play). Although this political interference with commercial companies under the guise of "national security" is both utterly bogus and a national embarrassment it does have a couple of silver linings to this particular cloud. One is that (IMHO) the constant updating of software causes more problems than it solves, its only done for commercial reasons. The other is that the Apple/Google duopoly really needs a bit of a shake up and this is just the stimulus that's needed to get a new player in the field.

Developers also need to think twice about the platforms and services they're using. We've all been a bit complacent about the ecosystems we work in and it never occurred to us that a rouge government could at a whim completely screw up an entire business. Now we know that anything purchased from or controlled by an American company is potentially a risk it would be sensible to keep away from such products. This actually isn't new; for many years now encryption technologies cannot be developed in or sourced from the US because of onerous export controls. (I'm not making this up -- you need an export license to sell an American made wireless access point outside the US because WEP has the RC4 cypher in it. Technologies may become obsolete and die but bureaucracies march on as if nothing changes.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe a blessing in disguise

With that kind of attitude, you can't trust ANYONE, not even yourself. No statement can be trysted, any proof can be faked. US, Russia, China, you're still bending over in the end.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Maybe a blessing in disguise

"it never occurred to us that a rouge government could "

That term is typically associated with communist style countries...oh, as you were.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All corporations and politicians want to own you

That's why I live in a cave and communicate via hollow tree trunks...

1. Big_Boomer Bronze badge
      Coat

Re: All corporations and politicians want to own you

Do your tree trunks have WiFi (Wiccan Instigated Fibrous Interface) ? You are owned by the Hollow Tree Trunk Producers Society (HTTPS).

1. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge
        Joke

There appears to be quite a lot of noise coming from your data stream.

2. BebopWeBop Silver badge

Secure for point to pint over very short distances I suppose (so good from one side of the bed to the other), but we use encrypted smoke signals, with 512-bit key. We hope to get the first test of 'hello world' transmitted in under 5 rain forests.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh shit.

I just read the report. It turns out if Huawei gets banned in the UK my bins won't get emptied.

FML.

16. Aodhhan

So the technological score is

Based on everything China has accomplished vs. UK when it comes to intelligence and communications:

China: 1,512

UK: 24

Don't be shocked when China knocks out the UK at the next World Cup.

That is, if China allows the UK to participate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019