back to article Load of old Bull: French integrator Atos trots out first edge server box

French tech services biz Atos has squeezed out its first edgy server box to be deployed outside of the data centre. The system, BullSequana Edge, contains a 16-core Xeon D SoC alongside two SATA drives and up to 512GB of RAM. While the CPU is relatively underpowered, the Edge can house two Nvidia Tesla T4 GPUs for machine …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

French integrator you say ?

Will the server go on-strike ? Conveniently a couple of times a year in the summer holiday season ?

Will it shutdown after 35 hours of uptime ?

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: French integrator you say ?

Will the support dept declare a completely dead machine to be fit for work?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: French integrator you say ?

"Will the support dept declare a completely dead machine to be fit for work?"

Will the support department contact you to say there is a fault, provide details indicating they fully support their side of the service and then stop responding when you identify that the fault is actually with the equipment they support?

And when you try to open a service ticket, they claim they have no details?

Ahhh....thats what they mean by physically secure. If someone steals it, they claim it was never there in the first place and you must be mistaken.

2. Admiral Grace Hopper

I haven’t heard of Bull for a long while

I’m surprised and delighted that they still a thing. When they were a supplier to a project I worked on in the early 90s they made the weekly progress meeting a joy. After the usual pleasantries the software team (us) gave a five minute update then sat back for the next 40 minutes while the Bull guys argued with each other. Fun for all the family!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I haven’t heard of Bull for a long while

We are dealing with our first major French customer at the moment. Good God, they’re difficult. The priority system for defect management has been rendered pretty much meaningless by them. And this stresses *them* out! They are on their fourth project manager, the other three having been seen off by the project. Oh, and to add to all the fun, this is two old (British and French) companies trying to play at Agile, so we do of course have Agile with the “one big drop” at the end of the project.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good God, they’re difficult.<

Wait until you have a discussion on what was "agreed" in a meeting. You'll find that French meetings don't take decisions, no matter what may be recorded in the minutes. The actual decision will be taken some days later by a senior manager who may not have been in the meeting, and who may pick some completely different outcome.

I was on the French side of such meetings, used to drive our American partners crazy when they would fly to Paris, have a good technical meeting, and then a week after they returned home they would learn that the project was doing something completely different to what was agreed. The US team would explode, the French team would be baffled about the fuss, I (a Brit) would be stuck in the middle trying to mediate. That project sank without trace.

2. joeW Silver badge

"Agile with the 'one big drop'"

I've heard this referred to as the Wagerfall method.

3. Kev99

Uses GSM and WiFi, eh? Why bother with any security at all since both of those are about as secure as a hooker's bra.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

They're just the transmission method. Ever heard of encryption?

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Anyone dealing with ATOS ...

...should try handling meeting with them in the same way they handle PIP assessment interviews.

1. Vometia Munro

Re: Anyone dealing with ATOS ...

It's certainly something to bear in mind. Whether or not one agrees with Atos' shocking amorality, their extensive and unblemished record for absolute incompetence and Teflon-coated shoulders is a good reason to never deal with them. Plus they'll probably murder your granny.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed. These contracts should be awarded to a solid British Firm. Like Capita.

2. Evil Scot

I basically read the headline as French Interrogator.

5. Anonymous Coward
  6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Atos?

No ducking way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020