back to article Microsoft waves the wizard wand, emits the Web Template Studio

Microsoft has flung out an early toolset aimed at getting full-stack web applications up and running faster for Visual Studio Code users. The tech, named the Microsoft Web Template Studio, takes the form of a wizard which, after a few questions, will leave developers with enough to bootstrap their cloud-based app rather than …

1. Sgt_Oddball

Colour me shocked...

I would have thought they'd be trying to use this to force ReactXP down devs throats instead.

Shame it's limited to Windows only though

2. Erik4872

VS Code = Emacs

The moment VS Code came out, with the ability to add extensions as a key component -- I immediately recalled memories of Emacs. For those who may not know, Emacs is a "text editor" on the GNU/Unix side of the house. Every single function you can possibly think of has had an Emacs extension written for it. Its core functionality is editing text, but it's capable of doing _everything_.

I also find these "app wizards" very interesting; it goes to show you how abstracted software development is now. As long as you're willing to live with your particular framework's abstractions and the performance hit, simple development is snapping together Legos in the right order. Complex operations are well hidden behind the curtain now unless you really need raw power and can't live with the speed reduction.

1. Mr Benny

Re: VS Code = Emacs

Frameworks are just sophisticated do it all for you APIs for 2nd rate lego brick programmers. The number of times Ive had to deal with some pillock who couldnt solve a basic problem because his favourite framework didnt do it Ive lost count of. I wish these clowns would go and infest some other industry instead. Fuck knows how most of them bluff their way through the interview process.

2. cdrcat

VS Code != Emacs

Emacs has one absolutely killer feature: it is simple to customise to your own needs by adding to or editing the elisp source code.

I am using VSCodium at present, and although it has extensions/plugins (like most dev environments), unless there is an existing preference or plugin for what I need to fix in the editor, I can't easily fix VS Code to work how I want. For example, I wanted to improve how search worked for my needs, but I would have to do a full build of VS Code, and maintain that build. No thanks.

Note: I haven't used Emacs for over a decade, but I still remember how easy it was too customise to my own needs.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Almighty Weaponry .... in the Minded Fields of AI Led Adventures/Virtualised Experiments

It looks like you're trying to build a full-stack web app in Visual Studio Code. Would you like some help with that?

Yes please. What have you to Offer urVirtual Partners that they may not already have CyberIntelAIgent Command and Control of, and now Ready and Available for Universal Export?

Does Microsoft Dabble and Dibble at the Fringes of Virtualising Reality .... for Computers and Virtual AIMachines to Present to Global Media for Immediate Serial Broad Band Casting?

Sudden Introduction to Assimilation Programs ........ Delivering the Future Sublimely with NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive Text Following the ProAction and Sharing the Bounty ..... which when Heavenly is a Right Devil of an Immaculate Task to Supply with AIMentored Monitoring of Objects of Interest. ..... which can be just the likes of you in the lives that you lead, or be struggling in.

Intelligence has come a long way and extremely quickly recently. Do you need time to reflect and ponder and wonder if you can believe any of the above?

It is a Truth, and we now know it so .... unless and until it is for proving itself to be false. And that is most unlikely given the consequences of such a Malefaction.

Madness and Mayhem, methinks, with Myriad Tempting Diversions and XSSXExcursions. The Nymph and Satyr Run is a Hell of an Addictive Ride and it is Free to Enter. Whether One Wants to Leave Learned Experiences There Behind and Move On into Other Pastures is Always Another One of Those Free Choice Decisions Intelligence and IntelAIgent Beings Make/Take.

Well, Microsoft, if ever you tire of Dibbling and Dabbling in the Fringes of Virtualising Reality, you won't be stuck for Info on ITs AIdDriver Systems Enabling Autonomous Absolute Control Facilities and Utilities. You'll find it all Registered a Priori here on/in El Reg somewhere.

And it is not as if one cannot contact source with the minimum of effort, given all the new virtual tools practically all will have at their disposal to a greater or lesser degree ..... and which Spooky Establishments Everywhere are Quite Rightly Freaking Out Over.

Lose that Fight with Poor Moves and Certainly is it Game Over ...... or, Play your Last Hands Just Right, ACTive Retirement in Fields of Greater IntelAIgent Games Plays. That's a Win Win for AI, methinks.

Is the Truth of the above different for you, and you came here via an alternate route and root? Did you chart and record the journeys you took, with many a tangent to be sure into a dislocation hosting despair and dissolution, doubt and hubris eating up one's time in that dismal place?

Where can it be Followed/Read/Seen/Found?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like