back to article Air Force intel bod Daniel Hale charged with 'leaking top secret drone documents' to journo

A former US Air Force intelligence analyst who apparently fed documents to the press detailing the American military's classified drone programs has been indicted on five criminal charges. Daniel Hale, 31, is believed to have been the source of top-secret documents that lead to reports from The Intercept in 2015 and 2016 …

1. NanoMeter

Not very "intelligence" of him, but we the public says thank you for the data.

2. WolfFan Silver badge
    Mushroom

“No-one has ever been convicted of killing civilians with drone strikes”

That would be because drone strikes ain’t illegal. Not according to the USAF, anyway. Icon for obvious reasons.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

Sigh... now DJI will have a leg up on the competition...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a minute

Have I read this correctly?

He tried to erase a thumb drive? How thick is that?

If it is true that he had some sort of dodgy documents on this drive, given how cheap rhese things are, wouldn't it have been easier just to burn the damn thing on a bonfire or dump lighter fuel on it and light it? As far as I know these things are difficult to erase properly so why try? Oh well...

Cheers... Ishy

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just a minute

I'd think the quickest solution would have been a microwave, but then... I dunno.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Re: Just a minute

A hammer.

1. GnuTzu Silver badge

Re: Just a minute -- Shredder/Thermite/Acid

Be fun to toss one into one of those tree-branch shredders, if handy--though the built-to-purpose media shredders would be most guaranteed to succeed. Also, thermite is doable and fun if you can handle the safety practices (DDTAH). My try a trip down to the hardware store for some sulfuric acid in the plumbing isle.

5. edizgeorgi

Just a minute

I think it's true, the microwave is good.

6. lafnlab
    Big Brother

Own goal

Becoming a unnamed source for The Intercept is like committing an own goal during an important match, or going hunting with Dick Cheney. Not the place to be.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Skynet

He tried to stop Skynet, but they stopped him.

"Obama administration's policies on bombing terrorists with drones strikes that also killed innocent bystanders"

It's pretty well documented that most people that were killed by Skynet (drone strikes) were not militants.

Last months news "Trump Cancels Drone Strike Civilian Casualty Report"

Want to guess why, or is it easy to see that the murder bots are being protected.

(New military theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMVV_HsHcX0 Electric Eye )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019