back to article It's all about the returns: NetApp shutters certain EMEA offices and lays off staff

NetApp has laid off a bunch of staff in EMEA, shuttering certain offices and withdrawing a direct presence in the countries where it is deemed economically viable to sell only via channel types. A large hand flicks an icon of a little red man. Image via shutterstock (Lasse Kristensen) Fujitsu eyes sales decline, decides to …

1. Alister Silver badge
    Pint

You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals

Inspired sub-heading, worth one of these at least ------>

1. JLV Silver badge

Re: You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals

I just watched it again. Good times. So unashamedly offensive on so many levels*

It would never get filmed nowadays. Too much activist outrage. The women getting tranqued for example? Could be construed as rapey.

* but more in a cheekily tasteless than truly nasty fashion. sorry, lotsa worthier targets of outrage than these apes

2. a_yank_lurker Silver badge

Mismanglement at it again.

In many industries it is quite common for there to be regional office that might handle several countries in a region through local dealers/reps. The regional office is usually the regional parts depot and technical/sales support office for the reps. It seems that too many Silly Valley firms do not know how to do this or understand the need to do this.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: Mismanglement at it again.

Does that work well with language differences and things?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This was announced to the partners mid-April. Here is the letter: https://twitter.com/h0bbel/status/1118166439695925249

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is not unusual

It is called an "Agent Model", and has been used by many IT vendors over the last 25 years.

It works best when the typical product sold in a country or region falls under the smaller or more mass produced platforms, and custom build systems are only sold rarely.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As above it's called the agent model.

However, when you already have significant direct presence in these countries and you remove that presence it's called the retreating model.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Firstly, it's unfortunate that people have lost their jobs.

I can understand some of these countries being closed. Estonia, Slovenia, etc. However - Norway, South Africa, Nigeria, Turkey - all huge countries business wise.

Trusting these to the channel is risky - they are not your employees. They have businesses to run and if more margin is to be had with another vendor, or, another vendor whom has a direct presence starts building influence in the country they will look after themselves. Especially given the number of deals that are being flipped to direct!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020