back to article So how'd this go again... A sea goddess told you in a dream to run for president of Taiwan? OK, Mr Foxconn boss

The boss of Taiwanese manufacturer Foxconn is stepping down in order to run in upcoming presidential elections in Taiwan. Terry Gou will run in the primaries for the opposition Kuomintang party running on a more pro-China line. Gou credited Buddhist sea goddess Mazu for inspiring him to promote peace across the Taiwan straits …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"According to the Beeb, Gou said: “Three days ago, Mazu came to me in a dream. Mazu doesn't want Taiwanese society to be so difficult. Mazu told me to come out and do something." He said the goddess had nurtured him from a child to a grown man. "I am Mazu's godson. I want to do more for Taiwan's people. I will definitely follow Mazu's instructions." He is expected to take a more pro-Beijing line than the current president."

no conflict of interest there. It's all for the good of the people. He's far more interested in retaining control of his company when China takes over Taiwan than anything else.

At least he's funny!

1. DougS Silver badge

Pro-Beijing line?

If he wins they might need a Mueller of their own to investigate his campaign for Chinese collusion.

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

I suggest you update your knowledge of history. He will be running for the Kuo Min Tang, the old Nationalistic party of China, which still maintains a "One China" policy but without the communists. His true intentions are to take over the PRC.

1. DougS Silver badge

So kind of the difference between Trump and Reagan. One wants to play footsie with Putin under the table, the other wanted to drive Putin to drink himself under the table.

2. TRT Silver badge

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Glad someone else immediately thought of the same quote as me!

.... at least he's Taiwanese so I expect you can get away with ridiculing him - over on the mainland it might be more of a case of "come and see the violence inherent in the system"

1. TRT Silver badge

"Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!"

2. Mullah Bob

HELP! HELP!....I'm BEING REPRESSED

1. TRT Silver badge

Bloody pedants.

3. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Alien

This sounds like its from an episode of The Simpsons

Where Mr Burns gets injected with life prolonging stuff and brings everyone love, until slightly later wher he brings pain and suffering.

4. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Trollface

Shrug

How many political leaders have done something because God/Jesus/Allah "told" them to? If someone can explain the qualitative difference, I'd be suitably impressed.

1. Swarthy Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Shrug

Well, Any that say they are doing it because God told 'em to.. they will get mocked and laughed at.

If it becomes apparent that they believe, but didn't say, that God Told 'em to, then they can expect the above.

However, I am fairly certain that no god had anything to do with curent US/UK politicians, that shit is too foul even for the malthiest deities like Malock or Cizin.

2. TRT Silver badge

But you can easily get away with "We're on a mission from God."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You know, I can't understand those people who kill because "God told them to".

But if Optimus-Prime told me to do it, that sucker's going down.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Mushroom

The difference being that if Optimus Prime wants you dead you're fucked, regardless of whether anyone listens to him or not.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In Joseph Heller's (to my mind underrated) book God Knows, King David notices that when the Lord was with him, the Lord always told him to do whatever it was that he wanted.

1. TRT Silver badge

Sounds like an abusive or coercive relationship to me. Wear this, don't wear that, WTF is this text from Buddha doing on your phone? Have you been texting your exes? Cover your hair when you go out.

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

It seems...

...every country has an Uncle Donny! Rich guys, bored with their life, throwing their money around in the political arena.

Oh whatta world...

6. Blockchain commentard Silver badge

Did Mazu contact him via a Foxcomm device? Cos that might of been me, having a laugh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It depends what you mean - if you include a faulty Foxconn ventilator resulting in volatile compounds entering the offices of the C-suite, you may be onto something...

7. Cheshire Cat
    Go

Meanwhile,back in Taiwan

According to the (Taiwanese) wife, the joke currently going around in Taiwan is this:

After he announced that his candidacy was on the orders of Matzu, all the different Matzus from the many temples around the country got together and had a meeting.

"OK, who was it that gave him this stupid idea?" they all asked.

"Not me!" "Not me!" they all responded loudly together, pounding the table angrily...

And this is what caused the recent earthquake in Taiwan.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020