back to article Enough about me, why do you hate Kaspersky so much? Revealed: Insp Clouseau-esque bid to smear critics as shills

A gauche "spy" has made clumsy efforts to get critics of Russian antivirus biz Kaspersky Lab to incriminate themselves as shills for rival security companies. At least three public critics of the company have been lured to meetings on the promise of business or employment opportunities, it is claimed. Once there, conversation …

1. steelpillow Silver badge
    Trollface

Lucas Lambert

I expect he was hired by Julian Assange - or his cat.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Lucas Lambert

Don't know who hired him. But Assange, he's clearly run by his cat. His recent antics closely resembles the behaviour of my cat, e.g. messy, unshaved, always in your face, and if you want her to go somewhere you either have to drag or carry her. And she complains. A lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Two thumbs down. Assange and his cat were reading this?!

2. PhilipN Silver badge

The name itself is a dead giveaway

3. LDS Silver badge
      Coat

Is this a symptom of hiring issues? From young readheads spies, to this guy who can't impersonate his asserted role?

4. Roq D. Kasba

Lambert is a very regal name...

...he's usually accompanied by his Butler

2. Marketing Hack Silver badge
    Joke

In Soviet Russia...

IT security company struggles with insecurity!!

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Big Brother

Boxes inside boxes inside...

It could always be the activities of some 'persons unknown', trying to make this look like Kaspersky trying to mess with others.

In the spy V spy world I wouldn't rule out anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Boxes inside boxes inside...

Yea, but Russia is most famous for false flag operations, especially in recent years. The "non-Russian uniformed" Russian Army soldiers in eastern Ukraine de facto annexing it to Russia. (When not shooting down civilian airliners.) The "non-Russian uniformed" Russian Army soldiers who invaded Crimea to annex it to Russia. The "non-Russian uniformed" Russian Army soldiers who invaded Abkhazia and South Ossetia of Georgia & de facto annex them to Russia, etc.

These guys are as subtle as most Russians.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Mike Moyle Silver badge

All the critics are being paid by George Soros to protest Kaspersky...

Oh, wait... wrong conspiracy theory...

Never mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wait...are you suggesting Lucas is the gunman on the grassy knoll?

1. Frumious Bandersnatch Silver badge

I think it's more like Carl Zeiss having a time machine (via the monolith) so that he could shoot the moon. (Омон Ра, товарищ)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

PrAiSe ThE mOnOlItH

...That was a STALKER reference, right? Am I in the right thread?

2. Tigra 07 Silver badge
      Mushroom

RE: Mike

Misunderstanding here. Are you saying this Lucas set the thermal charges in the World Trade Centre on 9/11?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Statement of the year!

"I'm suspicious of all antivirus companies and have pointed out in the past that all security companies usually co-operate with their nation's intelligence services"

I recently had trouble with Kaspersky as well.

I had an unauthorized withdrawl from my PayPal account to renew my licensed copy of Kaspersky.

I don't know if automatic renewal was enabled by default or not but what was more upsetting was the fact that I was charged almost double what I had paid for my original copy of Kaspersky 12 months earlier.

This same exact scenario happened when I was using Trend Micro except I was charged almost triple my original subscription costs with them.

I don't know why I even purchased the full version of Kaspersky as I don't enable many of the "features" it comes with.

*I don't let AV companies inject JavaScript into my web browsers nor do I allow their trust certificates to be installed to decrypt my web traffic.

*I don't use the VPN/Proxy that came with Kaspersky as the company they use for this has the worst track record of violating users privacy/security of all the VPN/Proxy companies.

*I already have a much better software based firewall

*I use an open source password manager that uses a physical key and is not (cloud) based.

*And last but certainly not least...I have weaned myself off of using Windows since the EOL for Win7 is upcoming and refuse to use Windows 10.

And don't get me started on the subject of mobile antivirus...

Those "security" apps are far more dangerous than any malware could ever be.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Statement of the year!

I do not believe the US ban is appropriate however, I too have had problems with Kaspersky slightly dodgy "procedures", so in my book they are not completely white.

Mine was that I purchased retail, I rebuild my windows machines regularly since no AV is 100% effective.

Kaspersky stopped me using my licenses (multiple activations limit not mentioned on retail pack) unless I gave them personal information about where I bought it. The second time they did this then I kicked up and in the end they removed the block on my use of the AV but never gave me the lost time back for either unreasonable removal of service.

The only reason I can see for them requiring proof of purchase if you did not buy from their web store is for personal data collection, they were adamant that the license code was valid but still refused access to the software for a significant portion of the period I had paid for.

As to your repeat payments CC and paypal, personally I refuse to use them. It too much like direct debits where you give up control of payments and then you are open to the company just taking money from your account when they like. I suspect that it happens when the supplier needs some short term cash so they raid their customers rather than getting a loan. Theirs is a dirty trick but avoidable via standing order, let them do it once then recover via DD rules and move them to SO or monthly CC payments if they pretend they do not accept SO and you are unwilling demand your rights.

Insisting upon DD when you are more than willing to pay via equivilent payment methods is not a "reasonable" reason to go to court especially if you have good reason not to trust them with control of payments.

1. DJO Silver badge

I do not believe the US ban is appropriate however

Of course it is, only American companies are allowed to spy on consumers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You mean Zuckerberg isn't the benign guy he claims to be ?!?!?

2. Cavehomme_ Bronze badge

Bitdefender, McAfee, Norton, Webroot and several others do the same thing, auto renew at the full price.

The discount is a one off and doesn’t renew, that’s normal not just in AV and certainly not only Kaspersky. You can buy a new license each year with any vendor, no need to auto renew, may require reinstalling though.

6. Frumious Bandersnatch Silver badge

I will say zis only once

I am sorry. My "fountain pen" was not ready. What did you say?

I said, "I will say zis only once..."

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Vot? Me Russian? No, no, no, I am from zis veellage in Belgium, ze von vere zey make ze lovely beer, trust me!

1. batfink Bronze badge

Is that the Belgian village with the lovely cathedral and the 123-metre spire?

8. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Mushroom

Shame they didnt' put so much effort into writing decent software ...

Seems to be the SOP for the 2000s - it's always someone elses fault, they're all out to get you, and £100,000 is much better spent on marketing and aggressive contracts than paying for competent staff and a decent product.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spy vs Spy

So someone is trying to find out if Media people are being manipulated by others to bash a company, the same as politics are done, as well as who and why. Pretty freaky way to go about it, making it obvious what they are doing by being incredibly sloppy. Makes me wonder who is behind it. But I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

10. Grinning Bandicoot

Use a cash card transferring money into the card when purchasing. If an automatic renewal is required to load, immediately after loading disable the renewal and it is you making the decision.

11. keithpeter
    Windows

Shoes

>> Giles said his suspicions were first aroused by the man's suit, telling The Register: "He wasn't scruffy but he wasn't wearing the high-end tailoring and well-polished shoes I'd associate with someone in his supposed business." <<

Years ago when involved with bid writing (at a lowly level) for a public sector organisation I had to find and work with appropriate private sector project partners. I was given advice along the lines of 'check their shoes'. I think my advisor meant something along the lines of 'make sure they have their shit together enough to present themselves well and make a coherent case'.

Icon: I don't dress posh

12. Wim Ton

Jamal Khashoggi was murdered in Turkey.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019