back to article What's long, hard, and full of seamen? The US Navy's latest cybersecurity war gaming classes

The US Navy is looking to hire someone to teach the basics of cybersecurity to its sailors. Companies have until May 6 to make their pitch to the Navy Postgraduate School on exercises it can use with its course on Cyber Operations Fundamentals. Specifically, the school wants a contractor to develop lab exercises to go along …

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Hardy perennial

I mean the “play on words” in the title.

At the risk of lowering the tone - well, too late - the graffiti on the wall at my law school’s toilets began with “She was only an admiral’s daughter but her room was full of discharged seamen” and went downhill from there.

1. OssianScotland Silver badge

Re: Hardy perennial

"her Naval Base", shirley?

1. JJKing Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Hardy perennial

And don't call me surely.

and went downhill from there

Likely due to gravity old chap. Wouldn't expect it to go uphill unless...........mmmm?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if they will catch any pirates?

3. TRT Silver badge

Surprised at the HTML5 requirement. Surely it would need to be compatible with IE6 on Windows for Warships?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I believe they replaced the IE6 based training course with a loaded pistol and shoes with bullseyes painted on the upper...

4. Zog_but_not_the_first Silver badge
    Boffin

Hang on!

Didn't the US Navy invent TOR?

5. steviebuk Silver badge

I assume

They have their own security to check over the code otherwise said bidder could sneak malicious code into their training. Although you'd also hope the training suite was isolated.

"On the plus side, the Navy notes that no travel is required and the developer will not need a security clearance, as the contract is unclassified."

1. harmjschoonhoven
      Thumb Up

Re: I assume

The Navy could start with the Course in Cryptography by the French General Marcel Givierge (1925). It served the Polish cipher classes well when they where up to German Enigma machines ánd Russian encrypted radio messages as you can read in the fascinating book X, Y & Z by Dermot Turing.

6. William Towle
    Terminator

"Cyber-security version of war games"

Mis-read, with capitals.

Nice game of chess?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019