back to article Firefox arrives for Snapdragon Windows and Slack sidles up to Office 365

As the twin horsemen of the PC apocalypse, the Windows 10 May 2019 Update and Chromium Edge, saddled up to charge at users (in preview form), there were a few other emissions last week from Microsoft. Windows on Arm is getting foxy While the rest of the Windows world squeaked excitedly about the arrival of a Chromium-powered …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Skillz

which intends to teach digital skills

Presumably these inlcude using Skype's screen-sharing ability to share date swipes…

2. jonathan keith

Skype for Business

Always useful adding new features to a product minutes before it gets taken round behind the shed and summarily replaced by (in this case) Microsoft Teams. It's like they don't even read their own roadmaps.

1. MatthewSt

Re: Skype for Business

Not to mention that for day to day business sharing, the RDP based version takes a lot less bandwidth and CPU than the video encoded one. I don't need 30 FPS for watching someone type!

2. Adam 1 Silver badge

Re: Skype for Business

Won't be shedding any tears though. The stupid design calls like not being able to switch your mic/speakers to headset from within a conference call without minimising it and going through the main UI and hitting the config from there. And the times that it just drops the audio quality to the point you have to fire up TeamViewer. Or the times you click join and it just hangs. It's Skype in name only to me. Nothing like the original game changer Skype originally was.

3. tiggity Silver badge

stats

"The Brits (well, just over half of them) told the world back in 2016 that they were not keen on the antics taking place beyond the famed White Cliffs of Dover"

No, not over half of them

Applied to those eligible to vote (so a hefty chunk of Brits not included, in addition to youngsters included those who had been long term resident in EU country other than the UK) .. and who actually did vote (plenty of those eligible to vote did not).

Approx 30M voted, so approx 15M voted Brexit

Approx UK population at the time was 65M*

So, approx 1/4 of UK voted Brexit

*ignoring votesrs outside of UK, as mentioned some long term EU resident UK citizens could not vote, but shorter duration ones could, but being as this is all approx figures not clouding issue with estimate of potential voters not resident in UK as still get approx half UK population voting and approx 1/4 of population taking each side.

1. caffeine addict Silver badge

Re: stats

Regardless of the vote it's being applied to (referenda, national elections, local elections, internation changes) I hate this argument. Unless we go all Australia and force people to vote, of course a result of x% isn't x% of the population.

The argument that 3/4 of the population didn't vote to leave can be just as accurately refuted with the statement that just over 3/4 of the population didn't vote to remain.

By all means, argue that the result was wrong. Or that a higher threshold should have been used. But this particular argument abusing statistics is wilfully ignoring how votes have always worked in the UK.

1. Def Silver badge

In my mind, the very way referendums are implemented is fundamentally flawed. A much better way (in my opinion, obviously) would be this:

Take 50 (or so) plainly worded multiple-choice questions on the subject at hand. Select five at random and print them on each ballot paper.

Use the results of the answers to these questions as a weighting on the actual vote. I.e., if you answer all five correctly (and are therefore more knowledgeable on the subject at hand), your vote counts 100%. If you get two right, your vote counts 40%. If you don't answer any correctly, well done for finding the voting booth, give yourself a pat on the back.

Going all Australian doesn't really work. As an Australian friend once pointed out to me, you merely get people who don't give a shit turning up and voting at random.

1. caffeine addict Silver badge

What multiple choice questions do you mean? And what is 'right'?

I mean, for Brexit, would a valid question have been

"do you believe this thing MP X said?"

OR "do you believe the side of a bus?"

OR "would we be better off out"

OR "which is bigger, the sun or the moon?"

Because the first three are all subjective (in advance of the event) and the last one (if OkCupid is to be believed) would be failed by half the population...

1. Steve Foster
            Facepalm

"What multiple choice questions do you mean? And what is 'right'?"

Factual questions to which there is a known correct answer.

For example:

* In which year did the UK join the EEC? [list 4 or 5 years from which to pick]

* Which of the following [short list, some members, some not] are member countries of the EU in 2019? ("country" as per Pointless)

That sort of thing. Not "how long is a piece of string?" type questions.

1. Def Silver badge

Yeah, I would add: independently adjudicated, factually verified questions.

I would fully expect all sides of a referendum to question the validity of some answers, but at the end of the day there should only be one verifiably correct answer to each question.

2. holmegm

Ah, so a poll test in order to vote. What could go wrong?

2. WolfFan Silver badge

Objective questions only. The last one would do... and lots of people would get it wrong. Including most moon-landing-deniers and almost all flat-earthers.

2. WolfFan Silver badge

Feh,. I prefer the Robert Heinlein Voting Method:

1 allow anyone, any age, who can prove that they are a citizen to go to a voting booth. Yes, that explicitly includes 11-year-olds. Or younger, if they can find their way to the booth.

2 generate a nice new quadratic equation in the booth. If you can solve it, you get to vote. If you can't, a loud horn sounds and you get heaved out. (Yes, I could and did solve quadratics at 11. But then I went to schools run by Jesuits, who take education seriously. This started with the founder of the Society of Jesus, Ignatius Loyola.)

After the first two-three times that the horn sounds, prospective voters would either learn how to solve quadratics or would stop wanting to go and be publicly embarrassed.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Can we make that a quadratic equation with integer coefficients that are limited to some value? Only the one my quick python expression gave me was

30.172645780509356x^2-380.2337095297456x+847.7979639890812

3. katrinab Silver badge

If the answers are a binary choice, then a 50% score means picked the answers at random, and therefore your vote should be weighted to 0%.

4. Rudolph Hucker the Third
    Happy

Am I the only one who is slightly thrilled that their children could get the chance to study (or work) at Bletchley Park?

Never mind the Brexit cocks.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The computer museum is the best kept secret at Bletchley Park and the best place to do any studying. The rest of it is essentially a theme park.

5. jake Silver badge

Somehow I seriously doubt ...

... that Slackware will ever have anything to do with Office 363. Or however far it's dropped.

6. Hans 1 Silver badge
    Windows

Availability Zones in the Azure world means separate physical locations within an Azure region, with independent networking, power and cooling, so a failure in one location shouldn't hit the other.

Well, that is the beautiful theory, here the reality:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/17/azure_outage_report/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

kangaroo

Why am expecting the next move from the kangaroo to be a swift left hook to the girl?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019