back to article Watch Toyota's huge basketball robot shoot a hoop, and read up on how you should think about AI and, erm, Jesus

Another week has passed in the AI world, with military shenanigans, US government regulation and new chips from Qualcomm. Here's the best of the rest. Are facial recognition coming to police body cams soon?:Axon, the largest supplier of body cameras to US police, has filed patents to develop, surprise, surprise, facial …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Southern Baptists

"the public policy arm of America’s largest Christian denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention"

Jesus called. He would like you to put the word "Christian" in quotation marks. He said some friends of his wrote a book about his views, please could they try reading it.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Southern Baptists

"AI in medicine is acceptable if it enhances healthcare, but using it as a means to improve or change the actual body isn’t."

So cosmetic surgery is already banned ?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves:. Leviticus 19:28

Of course that is in the Jewish bit - so to be taken absolutely literally when it is about gays and totally ignored if it bans your bacon cheeseburger.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Multiple Choice Leviticus and Deuteronomy - observe any two from several thousand.

P G Wodehouse missed a trick, unusual for someone with a religious education - Bertie fails to note that the people who covet Anatole, Aunt Dahlia's chef, are up there with the committers of adultery. I am sure that Jeeves could have found a gardener's boy who would locate suitable stones.

2. holmegm

Well ... whether you believe it or not is up to you, but food laws in particular were repealed (or rather fulfilled, as with all Jewish ceremonial law):

https://biblia.com/bible/esv/Acts%2010.9-16

Just sayin', there are reasons that Christians don't observe Jewish dietary laws but do observer Jewish sexual laws. You don't have to believe the reasons, but it couldn't hurt to try to understand them.

It's not as though nobody noticed some big blooper here until some blog snarker did in 2019.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Voyna

Yeah, hypocrisy like that is what got me out of religion - and how/what I believe in private is my own business.

I actually did read that book, several times, every word, and just looking for what it says, not using it, as CS Lewis said "to gain power over mankind using religion as a tool" as seems so common in organized religion of all kinds. Or looking for a way to justify my preconceptions as many do, by picking and choosing out of context. Even a pastor with the best of intentions falls prey to that when prescribing what his flock should be concentrating on, even though he forgets he doesn't have god's phone number.

"Created in the image of the creator" comes to mind in this instance, along with lots of others those guys who believe sex might lead to dancing didn't read.

1. GrapeBunch

Some of my ancestors were southern Baptists. They were Baptists, and they lived in Sussex. I'm told the exact name of their sect was Strict Baptists. A relative suggested that the Strict was not a reflection of their Biblical Interpretation. For example, they could still eat Prawn Chop Suey, of course so long as the cabbage was overcooked. Rather, the stricture was that only church members could participate in the Sacrament of Communion. It was not clear to me whether "member" referred to the congregation, or the sect as a whole. No idea how they enforced the stricture. Perhaps the method they used became the model for airline flight check-ins. "I'm with Strict BA, please."

I know this isn't the right place, but are / were Strict Baptists similar to Southern Baptists? By asking here, I'm cutting out the middlemen, like it says in the Book.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Upvoted for the last sentence. It's amazing how many people don't get/choose not to get that passage.

2. Adrian 4
          Happy

No, Strict Baptists were a different sect, somewhat more restrictive (but perhaps rather more genuine) than the Southern Baptists.

You might like this fine book about them.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/archie-strict-baptists/author/betjeman/

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Created in the image of the creator

Gods get created over and over. The primordial Greek gods got demonised when they were replaced by the titans and the titans got demonised when they were replaced by the Olympians. The Greek Olympians were a bit too Greek for the Romans so they got recreated with a stronger Roman flavour. The god of Judaism was a bit Jewish for the Christians so they created an updated version closer to their own values.

Every culture creates their own gods - sometimes by recycling older ones. Hundreds of different gods and I have never seen any of them. Not even the invisible pink unicorn.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Flocke Kroes, you studied math, didn't you? Try Differential Analyses?

God is the only limit for a differentiable function, which has an absolutely different nature from the function/ does not exist for it (there is no God in our world). Jews (and Christians after them) believe that there are many functions that all strive toward the only God (it's called in Physics String Theory).

Ancient Greeks believed that there are no functions at all, as well as the striving; and the limits (gods and people-half-gods) exist directly in our world.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: I.Geller

amanfromMars 1 is a more entertaining parody generator. Try mixing in a bit of Ezekiel. There's a man who know his mushrooms.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

There are Ancient Greeks' polytheism and Christian-Jewish monotheism. In other words the Greeks believed there are many Knowledges, and Christians-Jews - only one Knowledge; the Greeks didn't see Differential Analyses, Christians-Jews did and have used it ever since.

AI came from the Christian-Jewish tradition, while SQL - from the Greeks'. I created AI and I'm telling you what it is.

Thus it's not funny. Not at all. Actually you touched the major scientific problem, perhaps not realizing what you are talking about.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

And there goes someone who, like the JWs, needs clonking on the head with the contents of the comparative religion bookshelves of their local theological library.

Having the shallowest gloss on religions of the period 1000BCE - 400AD does not qualify you to draw wild inductions and analogies.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

If you meant me - I think its linguistic and terminological problem: these people were talking about Differential Analysis fifteen hundred years before it was formulated in the present terms, when only Arithmetic and Geometry existed.

1. Robert Forsyth

Both a dog and a human can predict the future position of a ball in flight, and catch it. Is this differential equation solving? Both a dog and a human dream in their sleep, they both know when they have done something naughty; do they both have a conscience? A dog will bark to be let in, when it cannot see the person to let them in, do they have abstract thought? Does a dog have a soul? They are remembered by their human companions, after they die.

As you work your way down the intellectual levels...

Do you remember your first car? Its little quirks, its failings as it got old. It indicates when it's hungry or it's unwell. Does it make a happy noise, a serious one or an angry one? Does a car have a soul?

1. Kiwi
                      Linux

Do you remember your first car? Its little quirks, its failings as it got old. It indicates when it's hungry or it's unwell. Does it make a happy noise, a serious one or an angry one? Does a car have a soul?

I've ridden more than a few very temperamental bikes in my time.

Pretty sure my ex-Fiance has actually died and is inhabiting some of them!

(And yes, more than one has felt "off" long before any detectable symptoms of an impending mechanical (or electrical or carb) failure has occurred - nothing different in the handling, power and braking responses normal, nothing different in the noise, all gauges/lights as they should be, temperatures all right, yet something just doesn't feel right.....)

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Plato defined man to be a two-legged animal without feathers.

I define man to use paragraphs while he lives.

AI uses paragraphs searching for Definition (Other) and Factoid answers. Therefore AI is semi-human because it doesn't live (robot).

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Christian-Jewish mono and poly theism

The Bible has plenty of references to Israelites being berated and punished for idolatry and polytheism. Christianity and Judaism have made a thorough effort to forget their polytheistic ancestry. Their god used to have a wife - Asherah, the Queen of Heaven. It was a bad break up and she got edited out of the bible but the archeological evidence remains.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Who cares? I'm talking about the idea of monotheism and its implication to Artificial Intelligence, into TODAY Philosophy, to Internal Relations theory of Analytic Philosophy (which I (re)created).

Russell wrote "Why I am not a Christian" and created his External theory. I oppose Russell-Moore-Wittgenstein and say I'm base (my) Internal upon Bible.

I'm for sure mistaken but this is my interpretation, this is what I want to see. Money is my witness, my argument! Practice is the only criterion! If it (money) made on AI - IBM Watson and Google - my reading of Bible, my understanding is correct.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Money is the only (and bloodless) objective metric (for success) that I know, all the others are subjective and cruel. Please offer a different criterion than money? I am ready to consider your proposal.

If my interpretation of Bible and monotheism (for AI) is correct - it should bring money. And it does! Therefore it's valid and true.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

The Bible is multi-polar, and I say that I have found the basis for my Internal theory in my own interpretation of Bible, from Differential Analyzes standpoint. Of course I am mistaken and my theory is also wrong, but I do not see where and how. This is just another theory, not the ultimate truth and you are welcome to criticize it in any possible way.

However don't forget that Google exists (PA Advisors v Google), as well as IBM Watson (Debater) - the third parties proved my theory...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

God exists. One finds him/her/it right past the end of one's knows.

2. Robert Forsyth

As said by someone, "Man makes god in his own image."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Southern Baptists and souls

Ultimately, for Southern Baptists and other Christians, it comes down to whether an AI can have a soul.

They are correct that the answer is no.

They are incorrect in thinking that they have one or in maintaining that souls exist.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

> it comes down to whether an AI can have a soul.

What about silicon heaven - where else would all the dead toasters go ?

2. Kiwi
        FAIL

They are incorrect in thinking that they have one or in maintaining that souls exist.

Incorrect.

Just because you do not know or understand what a 'soul' is, does not mean it does not exist. The very fact that you are communicating shows that you have a soul, unless you're another AMfM-type AI

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

A soul is a process, differential function. You can have an integral for the function, but it depicts only a portion and not the entire soul. Hence impossible to define it.

4. holmegm

Because ... snark?

2. I.Geller Bronze badge

NIST TREC

According to NIST TREC AI should answer Factoid and Definition (Other) question, that's it. Not a word about images, etc. If you know what AI should do (besides the answering) - please give your own well established and rooted in Science definition?

IBM Watson, Amazon Alexa and Google Healthcare/ Waymo answer questions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Southern Baptist Convention, is here to help if you have any existential dread of AI

Personally I have an existential dread of Southern Baptists, can AI help me?

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Re: Southern Baptist Convention, is here to help if you have any existential dread of AI

The essence of AI in the new parsing and search for information. What does any existential dread of AI have to do with it? Do you afraid the new parsing?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Southern Baptist Convention, is here to help if you have any existential dread of AI

> I have an existential dread of Southern Baptists, can AI help me?

Congratulations - dread of southern baptists is the new Turing test, you've passed

1. DCFusor

No need to fear them, they're easy to troll by knowing their book better than they do, which is actually quite easy.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

You can engage in verbal battles and play words endlessly, but what about the ideas? What about Biblical Linguistics? AI - IBM Watson, Google - is built on Bible. You can win by proving me wrong by finding out what I'm wrong about. You are welcome... (I have PA Advisors v Google, it proves my words.)

3. the Jim bloke
      Terminator

Skynet may have a solution for you.

obvious icon is obvious.

4. I.Geller Bronze badge

AI-parsing and n-gram parsing

Before AI-parsing only n-gram parsing existed:

In the fields of computational linguistics and probability, an n-gram is a contiguous sequence of n items from a given sample of text or speech. In the sentence

- Alice comes, jests and sings.

1. n-gram parsing gets only one phrase:

- Alice comes jests sings.

2. AI-parsing gets in the same sentence three weighted phrases:

Alice comes 0.(3)

Alice jests 0.(3)

Alice sings 0.(3)

That's the foundation of AI, it operates with the restored and weighted phrases, while n-gram doesn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AI-parsing and n-gram parsing

And how, in your second example, does it deal with the ambiguity in "Alice comes" which has different meaning according to what it is contiguous with?

Your version of AI would probably hit a lane divider.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Exactly!

"Alice comes" is a plurality, phrase.

"Alice"is a singularity, word.

The ambiguity appears only if you use the plurality. As long as you employ the singularity there is no an ambiguity, because it means absolutely everything and nothing at the same time: the word "Alice" without the plurality is senseless, doesn't exist.

AI works with sets of phrases. Google, using my 6.199.067 does work with sets of phrases (PA Advisors v Google).

"a lane divider"... This is Internal Relations theory of Analytic Philosophy, I created it opposing External of Moore-Russell-Wittgenstein.

1. Robert Forsyth

I'm an old goat.

Alice comes = Alice is come or Alice has come

compare: Alices have come

There is no plural in Alice comes, jests, sings.

The Alices have come, they are jesting and singing.

The walking stick belonging to the man with the shiny knob. Fruit flies like bananas.

Even in the 1980s, AI was more than one thing/discipline. I remember reading about a search algorithm based on the behaviour of ants. Fuzzy logic was used to guess when a tube platform was too full. Markov chains/models use for speech recognition.

Earlier there was a realization that natural processes could be emulated with a simple processor and complex data; rather than a complex processor and simple data.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

1. There are three phrases in "Alice comes, jests, sings." - a plurality.

2. There is only one word in "Alice" - a singularity.

3. Fuzzy logic as well as Markov chains/models are not for differentialable functions, while AI is that differentialable function.

a) Machine learning is the addition of structured texts, which means an AI (as a differentialable function) gets its constant increment.

b) AI is a conglomerate of texts;

- where texts are paragraphs (contexts);

- each paragraph is an integral;

- and dictionary definitions (subtexts) form its constant.

c) Right, "natural processes could be emulated with a simple processor and complex data" - AI could exist the first moment the first computer was turned on. It didn't exist only because of Bertrand Russell and his External theory. Instead SQL came.

5. Adrian 4

banner image

I'm curious about the banner image - where does it come from ?

1. GrapeBunch

Re: banner image

The image is of a crucified figure, human female in form, but articulated and metallic, with ginormous battery compartments.

Parts of the image please me.

2. the Jim bloke

Try searching the internet for images with large breasts.

Some sorting may be required.

3. Spasticus Autisticus

image from here - https://www.shutterstock.com/g/Mike_Kiev

area screen grab and tineye.com is your friend when wanting to find an image.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

My Differential Linguistics

My Differential Linguistics (published at NIST TREC) came from the above mentioned St.Paul and Hegel's differential analyses' "becoming". There are two sentences:

- Alice.

- Alice comes, jests and sings.

The second is a differential function with its limit in the first: "Alice" by itself is the Knowledge, its weight = 1, this sentence means absolutely everything and nothing at the same time. In other words a set of phrases "becomes" a singular one word.

AI operates with sets of phrases, searching for an answer with its weight = 1.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Re: My Differential Linguistics

As you for sure all very well know Bertrand Russell, one of the founders of External Relations theory, wrote "Why I'm not a Christian." His main thesis is that Knowledge exists and he personally possessed it: he based his speculations on Geometry and Arithmetic, which know. For example, Pythagorean Theorem knows.

AI came from Internal Relations theory of Analytical Philosophy, which is based on the proposition that there are only opinions, which are differential functions and strive toward their only limit in Knowledge. Thus, the roots of AI in the Bible, in John and St. Paul's Linguistic.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Hegel introduced this notion as his "becoming", and Russell-Moore-Wittgenstein established External Relations theory of Analytic Philosophy in the attempt to get rid of this Biblical and Hegel's "becoming". (Which came from Differential Analyses.)

Now came I and established Internal theory, fight Russell and Co. AI is my argument, the proof of Internal: it's a function, has no answers - it arrives to them, searches and fins them conversing.

Sorry for the mistakes - Google translate does them, not I.

7. Christoph

"another matches faces to ones in a database, and the third detects objects like guns in video feeds."

"I've been trained on mostly white faces and anyway am bad on dark skin tones, so all black people look alike - so that's definitely the criminal in the database. And that fleck of mud on his hand tricks my image recognition so that I identify it as a gun. SHOOT!"

8. SVV

Southern Baptists vs AI researchers

One group believes that miracles are possible and that wildly implausible texts are literally true.

The other is an American fundamentalist religious cult.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Re: Southern Baptists vs AI researchers

Stop that? Bible is a prehistoric scientific theory, based on the prehistoric Differential Analyses. AI proves this my thesis, read my comments here?

IBM Watson and Google are the proofs of Bible, all Internet and AI is.

9. the Jim bloke
    Paris Hilton

What about sexbots? Unfortunately, the ERLC doesn’t believe in any other kind of sex besides that between a husband and wife. It also doesn’t want AI to take all jobs as humanity shouldn’t “move towards life of pure leisure”.

Is there any way of reading that paragraph that DOESNT imply they want prostitution to be a protected(reserved for humans) industry?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Yes: "any other kind of sex besides that between a husband and wife" => Prostitutes have sex outside of a marriage so are immoral and should be prosecuted. Anyone that has sex with a prostitute does so outside of marriage so is immoral and should be prosecuted.

These people want sex to be strictly the wife laying down on the bed waiting for her husband to get it over with, the husband to "pump in his load" to get his wife pregnant then rolling over and falling asleep. No petting or touching allowed.

1. holmegm

Your last sentence there is based on ... nothing. (Fortunately for the wives of Southern Baptists.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Book of Hypocrites, Chapter Pot, Verse Kettle

Data should not be mishandled, misused, or abused for sinful purposes to reinforce bias, strengthen the powerful, or demean the weak.

What, you mean like the way the Christian churches have misused the contents of the Bible for almost two millennia?

11. wolfetone Silver badge

Southern Baptists are to Christians what Donald Trump is to educated Americans.

12. WolfFan Silver badge

FYI

The reason why the Southern Baptists exist is that they split away from the original Baptists over slavery. They were for it. They were for segregation after the Confederacy lost their bunfight. Certain Southern Baptists felt so strongly on the matter that they did things like, oh, blow up churches. Including Baptist churches, just not white Southern Baptist churches. Including black Baptist churches with little girls inside, killing four.

This leads me to wonder two things:

1 why is the Southern Baptist Convention considered to be Christian in any way, shape or form?

2 why do some black churches associate themselves with the name 'Baptist'?

If the Southern Baptist Convention is for something, I will usually be on the other side, unless by some accident they pick the right side. When such accidents happen, they are usually corrected and at high speed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FYI

Weirdly, Baptists are so varied that some of them are quite progressive. In South Africa the more progressive wing of the Dutch Reformed Church actually won.

I once encountered a Baptist minister in a northern city who told me that he saw his role as a social worker, and that he used the religious beliefs of his congregation to nudge them into helping the homeless and alcoholics, stop hating Catholics, and enjoying themselves a bit more. His view was that there probably wasn't a God, but if there was, he hoped God would approve.

1. Kiwi
        Pint

Re: FYI

helping the homeless and alcoholics, stop hating Catholics, and enjoying themselves a bit more.

Aside from the 'hating catholics' bit, that is exactly what 'Christians' should be doing. The Bible in both testaments is very clear on NOT oppressing anyone, welcoming foreigners, helping people out (even foreigners) and so on. If your enemie's ox was to fall, you were doing wrong by NOT helping to get it back up again. Helping those in need was an absolute requirement under both the Hebrew laws and the things expected of the early Christians. Many of the festivals Israel observed (perhaps the majority) had a significant component relating to feeding the poor.

As to hating... If you act with hate towards anyone, you have no part in Christ. Try again tomorrow, when you've put your hate aside. If you refuse to forgive anyone, you have no reason to expect the Saviour to forgive you (there is a difference between refusing to forgive and wishing to forgive but having a hard time doing so).

Too often I have encountered people who are 'opposed' to Jesus who model his teachings very well, while also finding people who claim to follow Jesus closely yet fail to model Him in even the smallest ways.

13. CJatCTi

White Boys can't shoot basketball?

What more of the vidieo https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7663121/813762f0/niet_lang_genoeg_om_te_basketballen.html

Why is the only back robot the one who can make the shot?

14. holmegm

"Unfortunately, the ERLC doesn’t believe in any other kind of sex besides that between a husband and wife."

Why "unfortunately"? That's been the preferred stance of most cultures for most of history.

15. wayne 8

The robotic hoops player is black and tall.

The security and medical bots are white.

16. Milo Tsukroff
    Meh

The Basketball Robot could be done with wires and springs

That basketball - shooting robot is not impressive at all, since it starts in exactly one position. Given some wires and springs, and maybe a pneumatic piston or two, a totally mechanical basketball-shooting robot could be assembled. What the video shows looks like it could be replaced with a pitching machine.

Now, if the robot actually walked, stopped, evaluated the distance, and then took the shot ... that would be something. Until I see that ... meh.

17. Kiwi
    Angel

On the AI

AI in medicine is acceptable if it enhances healthcare, but using it as a means to improve or change the actual body isn’t. So, no bionic humans or anything like that.

Well... No. Sorry guys, you tried hard but on this one.. One of my closest friends is minus a limb due to injury. It'd make his life much better if he could have a truly functional prosthetic. Doesn't have to be beyond normal human strength (although it'd be nice), just reasonably functional. When I was a kid we had a huge campaign around our district because a kid a couple of years older than me (think he was around 12 at the time) won the NZ BMX championships and was going to the world champs in the US. Great kid, world ahead of him. I still remember the headlines from the papers about a week before he was due to leave - his spine was broken in a car accident. When I met him at high school a couple of years later he was wheelchair bound and would be for the rest of his life. Something that would give mobility back to someone like him - if not direct healing then at least allow bionics.

Jury is out on the sex-bot for me. I think it could be problematic, but would at least give some people an outlet where no-one gets hurt (at least until someone starts demanding equality for rootbots).

As to "moral agency", if a system is sufficiently functional to qualify then I have no doubts it should. If I can program a robot to have a true sense of feeling/emotions, then it should be given the equavilent moral agency. If it has the emotional range of a cat, it should be given that level. If it has the range of a toddler, or a full grown (reasonably) normal adult human, then it should be given the appropriate level of "moral agency". I don't know at which point a machine could develop a soul, but I have no doubt that it would be possible if we can get the hardware and software right (so... Not in my great-grandkid's great-great-grandkids lifetime)

Yes yes I know 'robot" may not be exactly the most correct term but I'm about to spend my evening fixing a windows computer, so I really don't care about much atm :(

18. This post has been deleted by its author

19. I.Geller Bronze badge

In total, your 154 public posts have been upvoted 39 times and downvoted 170 times.

They are kicking me out of the forum. I created AI and I'm the one who is uncovering its technology for everybody. I have no friends, only enemies...

They want my intellectual property for free, they think my patents are useless and my years of work are nothing. They're scared that I'm doing everything in public, and they don't understand what I'm going to do to them very soon.

Look at Eric Schmidt, Sergey Brin and Larry page? Google? Do you see what awaits you?

1. Kiwi
      Trollface

Re: In total, your 154 public posts have been upvoted 39 times and downvoted 170 times.

Pretty sure you don't get kicked for a large number of downvotes.

if that was the case religious fags like myself would've been long gone. I've gathered over a thousand downvotes.

As to the rest of your post... Are your sure your meds are on straight? Something looks a little wonky to me....

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Re: In total, your 154 public posts have been upvoted 39 times and downvoted 170 times.

Religion that you knew - ended. Now it is the Science. And what used to be science is now barbaric.

All these millennia you practiced the Science, you just did not have a foothold to prove, with scientific arguments in your hands, the depravity of polytheism and the correctness of Biblical monotheism. Now you can.

AI, Google and IBM Watson prove Bible and the existence of God.

But you understand this is my speculation? And I'm for sure mistaken?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like