back to article Memory slump and smartphone boredom deliver one-two punch to Samsung's bottom line

Slowing smartphone sales and low demand for DRAM and NAND memory have taken their toll on Samsung. cash rain DRAM, Samsung, these profits are on fire, NAND ain't that the truth READ MORE The chaebol issued earnings guidance for the first calendar quarter of 2019 this morning. Samsung has now forecast operating profit for …

1. a_yank_lurker

Mature Markets

Since phones and computers are mature markets the market for chips is also a mature market. So I would expect some slumping demand for chips as the life of the device stretches out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mature Markets

DRAM/NAND chips follow a feast/famine cycle. They've been feasting on profits the past couple years, now profitability will tank, investment in new production facilities will slow, and supplies will shrink until the feast returns in a couple years. It has been this way since forever.

2. LeahroyNake

They could always

Install more junk on the phones that you cannot remove, two birds one stone.

I only went Huawei 9 lite because I can uninstall most of the bloat, it works fine, has a decent screen, is better that the £450 Samsung s7 that it is replacing and... Ummmm it cost me £126 without a contract :0

1. Down not across

Re: They could always

Bloatware, Bixby, ludicruous pricing. I haven't really liked any since Note 7, which was forcibly recalled.

Given what you can get from Huawei/Honor and Xiaomi for half, or a quarter, of the price I couldn't possibly justify a Samsung. Yes hardware is nice, but software isn't. And the bloatware is silly.

Besides I'm quite happy with the ~200 quid Nokia 8 with no-bloat Android Pie.

2. Apprentice

Re: They could always

So you are saying Huawei don't install bloat? You're saying that the woeful EMUI that Chinese manufacturers choose is better than Samsung UI?

It may have been true that Samsung was indeed famous for bloatware and a poor interface (TouchWiz) but those days are long gone. On my Note 9 I had to actively go looking to download the Internet browser (which I prefer to Chrome) as it wasn't installed for example.

I love Huawei hardware but EMUI and all the Chinese software they force you to use always turns me away and I am then heading back to Samsung.

I grant you that Samsung need to reduce the price of their devices but general decline in Smartphone sales is happening to ALL manufacturers and it's simply an over saturated market.

3. the Jim bloke
    Thumb Down

Samsung Quality and support

.. has placed them in my "Do Not Buy" list.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

They could try for a new niche market: dumb TVs.

5. cmaurand

I'm not ready to pay $750 for the cheap version of a phone that's not all that great at making phone calls. I haven't seen anything in them justify the huge price jumps.Tempted to just purchase a new battery and a new back. That's $22.00 plus shipping. There's certainly nothing in the phones that make them stand out from the previous 3 iterations of it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like