back to article NPM clings to its cuddly image – as senior staff vote with their feet: Now longtime product boss quits JS package biz

The cultural turmoil at JavaScript package management outfit NPM Inc, brought on by a leadership change and staff shakeup, has claimed another employee: product manager Rebecca Turner. Turner, one of the first five employees at NPM Inc and who uses the handle iarna, announced on Tuesday on the npm community blog her plan to …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Turner said she owed people that she hired honest feedback, open communication, support toward success, and, if necessary, dismissal in a way that's humane. The company's recent actions, she said, have made it impossible for her to carry out those responsibilities.

She sounds like the kind of manager I'd like to work for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You have more chance of winning the lottery, unfortunately

2. SynAckFin

Its a nice sentiment and I've heard similar from pretty much every manager I've ever had.

Pretty much every manager I've ever had never actually did it.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

How many of them resigned when the organization didn't let them do it?

2. muhfugen

Considering that her direct reports were terminated, it sounds like she knew her head was next on the chopping block and decided to exit in a very public manner in hopes that someone would take pity on her and offer her a new job.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Choice of CEO

Isaac Schlueter of npm, Inc. on hiring a CEO, in Founders Talk #61:

"And I have to really trust that he’s not gonna screw it up. It’s my baby, and you’re hiring somebody else to be your baby’s new parent."

"If I hire somebody else, they might not be good, the team might reject them, we might have this massive upheaval…"

4. JLV Silver badge

Npm is getting some heavy competition from something called yarn, which is near-equivalent, supposedly. To the point where blog examples typically cover one and mention that the other is pretty much the same commands with the different prefix.

Yes, yes, this is JS, so there's a new shiny every other week. Think emacs vs vim holy wars, accelerated x100, with about 1/100th the life expectancy.

Thing is, this is not Java, the lock-in is minimal and user base is easily outraged via Twitter. Enough bad press could eventually catch up with them, especially when they're trying to transition to making more money.

Doesn't seem like a good strategy at all, PR-wise. Go through the motions, pretend to be nice and offer generous severance rather than airing your stained unmentionables.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Who?

See title.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020