back to article Hitting Microsoft's metal: SUSE flings Enterprise Linux at SAP HANA on Azure

Veteran Linux slinger SUSE kicked off its Nashville shindig, SUSECON 2019, with a slew of new tech to gladden the hearts of enterprise fans. The first has seen the company dropping a cut of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) tailored for SAP HANA Large Instances on Microsoft Azure. Microsoft is, of course, no stranger to SAP …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When would you want to though when it's faster under Windows Server? The whole point of such vast platforms is high performance.

1. Rob 54

Not sure what you are referring to as being faster on Wintel ?

SAP HANA DB side will only run on RH or SLES, but yes you can still run the app server on Windows server if you like

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, yes my bad - SAP HANA is Linux only on the backend.

1. Chris Parsons

Downvoted for 'my bad'.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SUSE nor any other OS and apps organization can afford to ignore or let their desktop offering slide. MS made themselves huge by getting their desktop into every ones hands, including apps like Office and Outlook or Outlook Express in the 80s and 90s. The large commercial Linux distros pretty much offer similar products so I'd guess whoever delivers the most widely used desktop/workstation environment will eventually win. Sadly, that does not mean best although we can hope for that.

1. elip

Win what? People no longer compute on computers. Its considered antiquated tech by most outside of our industry.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think people socialize and perform ad-hoc tasks on mobile phones, but any business compute tasks require a platform designed to compute. Don't be sucked in by the hype of "the PC is dead". i certainly would not want to analyse data on a 7 inch screen :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020