back to article Trump fights with Google over Chinese military, AI scoops Turing Prize, Dota2 competition coming

Here's a quick roundup of what's been going on in the world of machine intelligence. Neural net creators awarded Turing Prize: Three top AI boffins have won this year’s Turing Award, often called the Nobel Prize of computing, for their pioneering research into neural networks. Geoff Hinton, 71, an emeritus professor at the …

1. Shadowmanx2012
    FAIL

How could it go wrong?

“The ability to deploy a swarm of low cost autonomous systems delivers a new paradigm for battlefield operations,” said Ian Williams-Wynn, managing director at Blue Bear Systems.

Perhaps he should watch an episode of Black Mirror, to see how badly wrong this stuff can go.

1. Chris G Silver badge

Re: How could it go wrong?

Considering that conventional battlefields have largely been replaced with asymmetric warfare, I don't see swarm weaponry being particularly effective unless collateral casualties are not a consideration.

An example would be the recent heavy fighting in Syria where much of the time daesh used the local inhabitants as human shields, I don't see swarms doing well in such an environment.

2. Voyna i Mor Silver badge

Typical underspend

£2.5 million for swarm drone research? Same old underinvestment and thinking British science runs on string and paperclips.

1. Nick Kew Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Typical underspend

£2.5m will fund a decent amount of caffeine (unless you pay trendy prices). What else do you need for research?

1. Jack of Shadows Silver badge

Re: Typical underspend

Donuts! Pizza!!

3. LDS Silver badge

We'll need a lot of artificial intelligence...

... since people started to watch online other people playing video games....

1. Stork Bronze badge

Re: We'll need a lot of artificial intelligence...

Is it really that different from watching football or prOn?

As a former Danish minister of culture said: I have it with sports as with sex: I much rather participate than watch.

4. katrinab Silver badge
    Unhappy

I have a problem

It is April Fool's Day. It is an article about Trump. It is completely crazy, and at the same time totally normal. How am I supposed to know if it is true?

1. Nick Kew Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I have a problem

It's El Reg. Every day is April Fools Day. Calm down, have a cuppa, go with the flow.

5. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Google is helping China and their military, but not the U.S. Terrible! The good news is that they helped Crooked Hillary Clinton, and not Trump....and how did that turn out?

Amazing he still gets away with talking like that!

1. Nick Kew Silver badge

You vogons have been usurped.

But then, you've been fully integrated with humanity for quite a while.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At this point, the more concerning thing would be if he stopped talking like that.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes well...

He's not wrong you know....

4. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

"Amazing he still gets away with talking like that!".

He cannot help it, the ball is now with the American people.

6. BebopWeBop Silver badge
    Facepalm

For those who missed it

Defence and Security Accelerator (DASA), an organisation set up to support the UK military.

The UK might, you never know have invested in something similar to the Defence Research Agency.

Oh I forgot it did. Then sold it off and much of it became it became QuinetiQ in 2001 A primary beneficiary bing the Carlyle group and a number of senior "innovators" such as John's Chisholm and Major.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: For those who missed it

Also Shafiq bin Laden, Osama's brother.

7. I.Geller Bronze badge

Happy that all of England agree that AI exists!

Happy that all of England agree that AI exists! In the sense of NIST TREC? As textual database? Which answers both Factoid and Definition questions?

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Re: Happy that all of England agree that AI exists!

Nobody? Nice...

8. Harry Stottle

General Joe says...

Trump’s top military aide General Joe Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Silicon Valley partnering with China “will help an authoritarian government assert control over its own people..." [edit: "like they already help us with ours"]

there you go Joe, FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: General Joe says...

Riiight because you are restricted from renting, traveling or working in certain areas because of?

North America is slowly going under the block but don't compare it to China.

China for its people is nothing like you've seen outside of Black Mirror, wake up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019