back to article Boffins may have found something more salty than Brexit Brits' tears this week: Underground pools of water on Mars

While Mars looks like a sterile, bleak, and dry wasteland, pockets of salty water may lie deep beneath that rust-colored dust, according to a paper published Thursday in Nature Geoscience. There is mounting evidence that, once upon a time, the Red Planet may have been covered by a large ocean, though where it all went is still …

1. This post has been deleted by a moderator

1. Banksy

Re: Typo in headline

They were too busy trying to make something that is not political into something political. Miss me with the politics and 'woke' stuff El Reg.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Now fixed, ta. We were literally in a rush to go drinking with fellow journos in SF. The Telegraph's offices are right next to ours, it turns out.

Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.com if you spot anything wrong.

C.

1. disgustedoftunbridgewells Silver badge

Anything wrong like making something political that isn't political?

Yes? Well I can't be arsed.

2. Giovani Tapini

There is no point in just getting it corrected, its far more fun to make sure absolutely everyone knows !

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

One way trip you say?

That bunch of duffers in the House of Commons sound just like the crew we need.

After all, leave means leave, no?

Re: One way trip you say?

We had a vote that we would fly to mars rather than not.

The losing side insisted that as a compromise we fly into the sun because if they can't be happy then neither can we.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

No, the losing side wanted to remain, and improve the situation. It was the ignorant leavers without a plan or map that crashed us into the sun. Apparently they got sidetracked looking for flying unicorns.

FTFY

2. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Mushroom

If that would happen the Mysterons will probably want to take over Earth instead and leave them there.

1. Conundrum1885

So are they making a "Captain Scarlet" live action film or not?

Also Underground pools of hyper-saline water? Sounds like that episode of TNG where the microbrains go on the rampage. "Bags Of Mostly Water..." No wonder the drill on InSight is malfunctioning.

Re. one way trip. I suppose being stuck on Mars would be inconvenient but Mark Watney managed it.

1. Twanky
          Pint

Watney's on Mars??

Hell! Where's CAMRA when you need them?

3. Rich 11 Silver badge

Call me Morlock

It could also provide clues to what our own planet might look like if the Earth were to lose its atmosphere and/or magnetic field

That would be interesting, but purely academic for those of us who didn't make it into the bunkers in time.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Call me Morlock

I dunno, we find out way into the Martian bunkers and find the natives asking if Europa's left yet, or if it's still falling.

Meanwhile, back on our rock.. This is interesting. So scientists have been theorising that we have too much water, so the Earth might be producing it deep in it's bowels. Probably not by drinking lager. So same could be happening on Mars, although it's thought to be geologically less active.

(And also less salt please, especially when most of that has been produced by democracy's losers. Oh, and I may have missed it, but nothing about the EU's latest diktat to fit black boxes and speed limiters to all new cars?)

2. M.V. Lipvig

Re: Call me Morlock

If we lose the magnetic field, we lose our atmosphere. If we lose the Moon, we lose the magnetic field. Seems the Moon's gravitational field spinning Earth's iron core against itself is what generates the field, and the field is what keeps the solar wind from stripping our atmosphere away. The Earth is nothing more than a huge magneto with roughly a 28rpM* speed.

It's also what will stop Mars from being anything more than a enclosed spaceport. If we really want to terraform Mars, we'll need to get it a moon, or figure out how to generate an artificial planetwide magnetic shield there. We'll need to do the same for spacecraft as well. If not, we'll have a 100 percent cancer rate for human Martians.

Unfortunately, we won't see it in our lifetime unless there is a quantum leap in our current technology.

*28rpM - 28 revolutions per month. Earth spins once per day while the Moon takes 28 days or so to go around Earth. I'm sure an astronomer could figure out the exact speed.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: That's no moon!

Nah, all we need is a Martian HAARP or a tunneling machine and a couple of nukes. I've seen that documentary. Now, who has a boring company?

Rest is fun to think about. A decent atmosphere would provide some shielding, then it's just a matter of keeping it. But by the time we've got to a point where we could create said atmosphere, we could probably figure out a way to top it up. And without an atmosphere, the spaceport's just another gravity well to climb out of.

4. Martin an gof Silver badge
    Alien

Water in Mars?

I think we already knew about this - didn't a certain time-travelling problem solver already investigate?

M.

1. Ghostman

Re: Water in Mars?

"Sorry, the player works only in the UK."

But I was thinking the same episode. Maybe the lettuce won't turn people into killers this time.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bit sick of El Reg's "woke" politics infesting their articles.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      WTF?

There's nothing political in the article. Try reading it.

The headline is another matter, but if you don't like 'funny' headlines, why the fuck are you reading The Register?

2. Mystic Megabyte Silver badge
      WTF?

eh??

WTF is "woke"?

Re: eh??

It's like PC but more aggressive and crazier.

The difference is that anyone who says "woke" without irony is demonstrating that they have a low IQ, and due to their lack of critical thinking capability, their opinion is not worth reading.

"PC" is a valid term. "woke" is used as an insult, usually by those trying to make excuses for their unjustifiable opinions.

A less-political version of "libtard", so to speak.

You are certainly a tard. I assume, if you are defending wokeness that you are illiberal ( in the original meaning ) or painfully liberal ( in the modern, wrong, meaning )

I'm not at all, but thanks for proving my point.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Water under Mars you say...

Need to get Quaid up there now.

1. Crisp Silver badge

Re: Water under Mars you say...

You're off to an early start!

I'd have used that as a Last Resort.

7. Alister Silver badge

Boffins may have found... Underground pools of water on Mars

Or more correctly, Boffins may have come up with a theory that there might be underground pools of water on Mars.

I think "found" is way overstating the case.

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Ah.. we think we've found the Martian spas then? Seems reasonable since the Martians are all underground anyway.

8. Conundrum1885

Underground Martians

Nah, May's agreement would sink without trace even in the Dead Sea.

Even the Martians would have noped it, if they hadn't all been wiped out by the Great Marexit Deatmosphering of 1BY ago.

I doubt any amount of negotiation would have made the slightest bit of difference.

9. Gene Cash Silver badge

Speaking of Brexit...

I see https://spacenews.com/uk-space-company-scisys-fearing-brexit-praises-decision-to-become-irish/ where Scisys (who worked on the Galileo ground segment) moved from the UK to Irrrrrreland[1]

[1] Granpa STOP IT

10. GrapeBunch Bronze badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Fred Hoyle

Today was supposed to be the big day, eh? Next time. Back on Mars, the salty-lake-under-the-surface was predicted by the Astronomer, Fred Hoyle, in his Science Fiction short story "The Martians". Spoiler alert: Marxit did not turn out happily for Homo Sapiens. Our thinking caps were / are out of alignment, and no reset button except the belly.

1. Jack of Shadows Silver badge

Re: Fred Hoyle

Never count Sir Fred out. I still keep Continuous=Creation firmly in mind.

11. Mombasa69

Aliens!

More people are getting abducted by Aliens too! Because of Brexit!!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019