back to article Take that, America! Huawei flips Trump & Co the bird after reporting double-digit % rise in sales and profit

Hard-pressed Huawei today chortled at the US government's "loser attitude" as it reported (PDF) healthy double-digit bounces in both its top and bottom line, lifted by the rise of its smartphones and enterprise gear. Privately owned Huawei said revenue for 2018 was up 19.5 per cent year-on-year to ¥721.2bn (£82bn, $107bn), in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back our Best Interests please...

No one expect Nation States to be at odds with Industry anymore?

Free Trade? No spying or trade wars?

Isn't it Huawei VS Apple or Samsung etc or is it China vs US through intermediaries again...

What this bamboozle?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Back our Best Interests please...

Huawei is being Trumped.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

To me it looks like Huawei is trumping America, despite the worst efforts by that fake president.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nope.

Retail consumers are pretty much sheep.

They'll buy anything and not care about opening the door to their privacy.

Most have never had to deal with identity theft. Or care that many companies and governments are spying on them. (Of course they go ballistic if they find out the US Government is spying on them.)

Government and infrastructure is a completely different beast altogether.

Here, it will cost billions if they make a mistake and have to replace already purchased kit. So if there's the hint of a potential threat... the deal won't get done. Is it protectionism? No. National Security? Yup.

Its not a matter of not wanting Huawei to make money, but keeping potential dodgy kit out of our infrastructure.

Now the irony that many miss is that US companies that do business with the US Government for years have been building their kit in China where knockoff equipment has been sold to the US Government which has been shown to be dodgy. Yet no one makes a peep out of that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trust no one FFS

There's plenty of evidence China usurps its private bizs when it feels the time is right.

The RCMP warned the Canadian Government back in '95 that three companies buying up land in Vancouver

would fall under the thumb of the State and sure enough, last year, they were disbanded and are now under China State Control...

No one listens...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Backdoors ?

The only backdoors anyone should fear are the ones the NSA has in place.

With Huawei, it's not backdoors we need to fear, but rather shoddy coding and bad patching practices.

Tallk about choosing your poison . . .

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Nunyabiznes

Re: Backdoors ?

You should fear all backdoors, whether inflicted by a state agency, illicit actors or the company.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think you missed the point.

There is no evidence of back doors in the kit Huawei sell, only shoddy coding practices.

There is and has been back doors installed in to American kit by the NSA.

So go with American made, have NSA back doors.

Go with Huawei kit and get something with known shoddy coding practices. Again known, cisco, juniper etc, no reviews have been done on them so they could be just as bad.

3. Colin Ritman

My Huawei device is part of Android Enterprise and gets patched very regularly thanks.

Don't believe all you read on the internet of shit

4. Ian Michael Gumby
      Paris Hilton

Err... yes and no...

No in that ...

All countries have agencies that fight for the right to hack your security and kit. Not just the US and quite frankly even the Norks seem better at it that the US... (unless that's a bit of misinformation put out by the NSA to throw us off their tracks...)

Of course in the US we have Clinton's email server. The US ICIG (Intelligence Community Inspector General) warned the FBI that Clinton's illegal server was hacked by several agencies including the Chinese. Even in El Reg, there was an article that once her server was outed, a security professional found her server listed in his database of poorly configured Exchange Servers.

The point is that while these agencies are trying to spy on you... the real issue is misconfiguration, or poor code rushed out to market before its fully baked. (Which is why I said YES & no. )

Paris because she can pull off the tin foil hat look

4. teknopaul

If you believe...

Competition makes buisinesses better.

Making life difficult in this way for a successful competitive biz like Huawei will only make it stronger.

5. Alister

That's Huawei to do it!

<FX: blowing a raspberry />

6. Shadow Systems

Yay! Good going Huawei!

As I asked in a previous post, you have successfully given TheFinger to my government (spits) & proved yourselves to be better than them.

Volumes of evidence proving they have spied on their own citizens for years via secret back doors, versus a patronizing "patriotic" protectionism that screams you're up to no good that has yet to provide a single shred of evidence.

Please keep telling Trump to put up or shut the fuck up.

If you made an accessible device I could use I'd support you with a purchase.

Cheers & enjoy a pint on me!

1. P. Lee

Re: Yay! Good going Huawei!

I don't get it. I'd expect the national leader to cheer for the home team. But why would you cheer for the other team? Maybe if their products were significantly better, but I didn't think they are.

7. Kevin Johnston

Savaged?

One can't help but wonder if the equipment made by companies preferred by POTUS would have fared any better in such a test. There is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest none of them are squeaky clean on 'secure and private' so which way do you jump?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Savaged?

"One can't help but wonder if the equipment made by companies preferred by POTUS would have fared any better in such a test."

https://routersecurity.org/bugs.php

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

And now as a link, so much more convenient.

1. To Mars in Man Bras!
          Facepalm

>>so much more convenient.

What would be convenient would be if El Reg allowed people to compose posts using Markdown or even [god help us!] BBcode, instead of this continued insistence on having to use prehistoric HTML. Who the feck can be arsed adding 'proper' links, formatting, etc. when it involves that much typing?!

8. sanmigueelbeer
    Happy

Huawei is now the third-largest smartphone seller worldwide

We will have to wait for the next US President and iPhone sales in China.

If the iPhone sales tanks in China in the next two years, I don't see any reason why Apple wouldn't secretly ask for Huawei's phone be banned in the US.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am sad that I bought into the Apple eco-sphere just recently.

Only because it is American. My disdain for the American atitude has never been bigger.

Budget considerations prevent me from moving right now to another provider of smart-hardware.

Never gonna fly Boeing again also.

I hate Trump for destroying my dream of a Christmass on Chateau Belvédère in Central Park, New York.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, China and everywhere else is better than the USA. That's why everyone is leaving the USA to other countries and no one wants to move to the USA.

10. Nick Kew
    Thumb Up

When I read "Losers" here, I hear the word sneered in Trump's voice. Or perhaps a satirist's impression of Trump's voice: could be either.

If Huawei really just called him a loser, that's karma worth making them my preferred vendor for future devices.

11. JoMe

Yeah, filled with the government-mandated spy software. No thank you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like