back to article Max Schrems schreds another 'blockade' to challenging Facebook data transfers in Austria

Privacy activist Max Schrems has demolished another "blockade" in his long-running dispute with Facebook in the Austrian courts. The Vienna Higher Regional Court has said that Facebook users can indeed lob civil sueballs at the social media Goliath, reopening the door for a case launched by Schrems in 2014. Max Schrems Safe …

1. LeahroyNake

We've asked Facebook for comment. ®

Did you have to create a Facebook account to do that ?

Or is there a secret email address that you can share with us ?

1. John McCallum
      Devil

Re: We've asked Facebook for comment. ®

If you look at the mast head you will see that they have a Facehook page.

1. tiggity Silver badge

@John McCallum

Of course that assumes your blocking tools used does not remove the masthead element .... I have not seen the masthead for ages!

2. chivo243 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Yes, but in Vulture Red! I thought it was for something else...

3. Captain Scarlet
        Devil

:O still a link for Google+

Who the hell has ever used Google+ (Other than the 4 thousand odd followers it states at the top of the page)

2. streaky

legal@ press@

Fairly standard emails for a large company..

They use a different domain for their corp stuff which is easy to find, once you know that you know how to contact them. Can't guarantee it doesn't all go to /dev/null though..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We've asked Facebook for comment.

"Oh shit.." - Facebook.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Max's moolah

If you feel like sending Max's NOYB – European Center for Digital Rights a bung, you can find out how at noyb.eu (which has yet to be updated to reflect today's news).

1. Paul 25

Re: Max's moolah

Thankyou. I was just thinking that he deserved a medal for all his efforts fighting the good fight, but looks like bunging them a bit of cash would be a better option.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The linked nyob site, rather ironically, has large "Follow us!" links for Facebook / Twitter / Youtube.

1. b0hem1us

You know they had it there since day one and it does bother me. Was gonna write them about it, maybe now I will.

2. FuzzyWuzzys

"The linked nyob site, rather ironically, has large "Follow us!" links for Facebook / Twitter / Youtube."

Hey, even Neo had to use the Matrix to get his way! Anyway you reckon those accounts aren't already on some sort of internal blacklist within said orgs?!

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

GDPR for the win

If there is anything that will bring The Zuck to bow before the law, it appears that the GDPR is the best chance.

Go GDPR !

5. 0laf
    Devil

Alas poor Shrems

I worry for Shrems. Would it take more than Zuck loudly shouting in his cavernous boardroom, "Who will rid me of this troublesome lawyer?".

6. Rich 2 Silver badge

Uuuurrrggggggggghhhhhh

I applaud Mr Schrems for all his efforts.

As mentioned though, the glacial pace of these things is itself a barrier to nailing the bastards. Maybe the GDPR should have also included a massive list of defences that are not eligible. For example;-

1/ Any argument about juristiction

2/ Any argument about timelines

3/ If you're Facebook, Google or other similarly deceitful and abhorant company

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like