back to article This headline is proudly brought to you by wired keyboards: Wireless Fujitsu model hacked

A German security researcher has revealed that one model of Fujitsu wireless keyboard will accept unauthenticated input, despite the presence of AES-128 encryption. Matthias Deeg discovered that the LX901 would respond to unencrypted but correctly formatted keystroke commands broadcast nearby. The set is normally shipped as a …

1. vir

Reference Designs

Copy and paste code for electrical engineers.

2. Clive Galway

"To make it a practical threat rather than an embuggerance, the attacker also needs to be able to see your screen"

Can you enlighten as to *why* they need to be able to see your screen?

I don't see any mention of this limitation in the advisory

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Well, you need to know not only what to input but also when to input it... trying passwords in calc.exe is not going to take you anywhere ;)

1. Cynic_999 Silver badge

Given a blind keyboard input to an unsupervised PC, I'm pretty certain I could do a lot of mischief without needing to see the VDU so long as I knew the OS it was running.

For example, if it is running Windows, then entering the "Windows" key is likely to get the OS to a known screen. From there you can run any program already on the PC by entering a known series of keystrokes. You could for example run a hex editor and upload a program by entering hex bytes of the binary, saving it then running it.

1. Garymrrsn

If you are one of those people who just can't live without visual input, install the same model receiver in a computer you can watch while interring data to both.

2. DaLo

yes, but don't forget the PC would also need to be left logged in and unattended for certain amount of time (I instinctively WinKey + L when I leave my desk).

However I would suggest that you don't need to type into a hex editor blind. You just inject a whole series of commands automatically as a set routing which would have the desired results - just as you notice the target standing up to go to the bathroom and before their PC timeout occurs.

1. fobobob

On the other hand, if people consistent forget to lock their machines, I guess we can now do it for them, from the comfort of our vehicle outside the building.

2. robidy

Windows key-R

ping <your hostname>

Should give you the public IP address from either the DNS logs or by inspecting ICMP contact to your public IP.

ftp runs in dos so grab a payload and get remote access.

Other operating systems, key sequences and targeted attacks are available.

3. Conundrum1885

Nasty problem

Not sure how to secure this one.

I actually have a receiver here with the affected chipset (broken antenna) so can probably experiment.

In principle the way to fix it would be a firmware update through Windows.

1. Olivier2553 Silver badge

Re: Nasty problem

Not sure how to secure this one.

As the article suggests: use a wired keyboard.

1. A.P. Veening

And while you are at it, also use a tailed rodent.

Wireless mice need batteries and get lost.

2. Robert Helpmann?? Silver badge
      Alert

The next thing you know, I will have to worry about securing my wi-fi so the neighbors don't get into my network!

4. vtcodger Silver badge

Ahem ...

assuming, that is, your attacker is not the sort of agency that can get away with very high power outputs without attracting attention from the authorities.

I doubt your attacker is likely to be around and broadcasting by the time "the authorities" get around to investigating. It's not like there are bright orange lightning flashes or other obvious warnings that someone is using an (illegal) power amplifier. How hard is it to amplify a 2.4GHz signal? Don't know. Never tried it. But my first hit on a search for "2.4ghz repeater price" is a "WiFi Signal Booster 2.4Ghz 802.11b/g/n Signal Extender ... Price: $30.99 & FREE Shipping."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019