back to article WD spins off 300+ jobs in the US

Western Digital will cut loose more than 300 people as part of its $800m/year cost-saving initiative starting in May. Three California state WARN (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act) notices filed on Tuesday featured the American storage firm. WD announced it would chop a total of 313 from May 7, including 102 …

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

What I want, however

I'd quite like to get a USB external disk box from WD with capacity above 10 TB that isn't a MyBook Duo - those are very expensive. No, I want just a single disk drive in a box. Any prospects foreseen?

I also would quite like to have Maplin back because they did sell the upper range on the high street, but that's not going to happen.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Meh

Making them TOO well?

I'd venture to guess that the reason for the decline in hard drive sales is NOT that they're less popular, but that they're being made TOO well.

That, and the reduction in sales of new PC computers, particularly those with spinny drives. [my usual comments as to why are currently being withheld, but people generally fix and upgrade the old boxen, until there is no longer a need to do so]

The price of hard drives right now is REALLY good. You can get a 2TB spinny drive for under $100, and a good quality one at that. And seriously, even if you work at it, filling up a 2TB drive takes a while. Most people (who don't have source repositories on them or a zillion torrent'd videos) might actually never fill it before it develops bad sectors and needs replacing.

But one other thing worthy of mention: Milpitas and San Jose are right next to one another on the map. Silly Valley and Orange County are both VERY expensive to live in. And of course, wages will be highest there (within the USA), with maybe 2 or 3 other places being worse, like San Francisco and New York City. So they might actually be MINIMIZING the number of people they let go by focusing on those locations...

3. TheVogon

300 jobs gone in a flash these days surely...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like