back to article 'Naut trio successfully dock at ISS after Soyuz rocket goes all the way

It was second time lucky for NASA astronaut Nick Hague as he and fellow crew members Aleksey Ovchinin and Christina Koch arrived at the International Space Station (ISS) this morning. Depending on where you reckon space actually starts, it was Hague's second or first trip into the void. His first crack at reaching the …

1. RGE_Master

So,

The first one they are on blows up, they fall back to earth rapidly and uncontrollably and then, then they decide to go BACK UP!!!!

Stand back fellas, this astronauts testicles will crush you when they hit you.... Huge testicles of steel!!!!

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Steel Indeed - Even if they do have 100% faith in the abort system riding another 300 tonnes of explosive after their last underwear ruining attempt is hardcore.

2. Grooke

I wonder if they had to plan extra fuel to lift them.

3. Nick Kew Silver badge

I'd feel more, not less confident after the previous one blew up. It demonstrated that there really was a working safety system for the occupants - which is kind-of impressive.

4. Mark 85 Silver badge

They don't call astronauts "steely eyed" or in this case "steely balls" rocketmen for nothing you know.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Mushroom

Best description ever

"went a bit explodey"

"One of the boosters failed to separate correctly and reconnected with the big metal bag of rocket fuel."

Best bit of journalism I've read for ages!

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Best description ever

I don't know, sometimes the technical descriptions overwhelm me!

3. Andy The Hat Silver badge

I'm a bit sad that in 2019 it is seen legitimate to have to note that the spacewalk will be done by 'all women'.

Why does the sex of the spacewalk team matter? Maybe it's a vain attempt to show how far we've got - 2 female astronauts in space at once!

What's next, "Blimey! Today the first one-legged, partially sighted, trans-lesbian in space with a strange haircut is going to sign a maintenance docket whilst having a period"?*

The term is "Astronaut" or the Russian/Japanese/whatever equivalent, they've all got more guts and ability than most to do what they do and nothing else really matters.

*Technically I'm not sure whether that's biologically possible but hopefully you get my drift.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, I believe a female flight director and a female capcom are also scheduled for that EVA, by happenstance.

But as you say, it doesn't really matter. As I usually say "I don't give a shit, can they code spacewalk?"

4. Anonymous Custard Silver badge
    Boffin

TITSUP

* TITSUP – Total Inability To Send Up Personnel

Total Inability To Seperate Used Propulsion surely, given it was a booster seperation malfunction.

Great to know they finally got there safely anyway. Astro-beers all round.

1. Spherical Cow

Re: TITSUP

There was a bit too much separation going on, Shirley?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"There was a bit too much separation going on, Shirley?"

They'll go to guidance counselling and get back together in no time.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Klingy boosters are the worst... All that core stage wanted was to have some alone time.

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

all female EVA crew

Interesting in a way. Although I'm really not impressed by things like this (first "identity" to XXX) it does sort of point out that working in space doesn't require "Male upper body strength" and it might be an interesting test to see if women are naturally BETTER at it.

When you compare things like depth perception, upper body strength, fine motor control, and the tendency (or absence therof) to take risks, men and women have different enough characteristics already.

According to THIS men have generally better depth perception, women have generally better night vision. And so on. Several things cited there.

But I suspect that overall, women will perform equally to men in space. Good thing.

Anyway I look forward to the day when it's no big deal that a man, or a woman, or someone of a particular race or religion, does something.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019