back to article Latest Fast Ring build grazes big red button, unintentionally ejects some Windows Insiders

Some excited Windows Insiders, breathlessly awaiting the first 19H2 build of the operating system, instead found themselves booted off the programme after installing the latest Fast Ring emission. While the slightly wobbly and very preview Android mirror in the Your Phone app pleased those with hardware able to run it, some …

1. Nattrash
    Trollface

Notepad has been the subject of much tinkering during this release cycle, including receiving support for UTF-8 encoding...

OKaaay... Although I'm not gifted enough to see how Notepad is going to change the world, I'm (still) hopeful that this will be some prelude to the seamless compatibility between MS and OpenDoc documents. You know, working with other people and having no issues at all working together on the same presentation. Or a document that has no issues with cross references and literature references. Without lay out issues... Or formatting...

Oh well...

1. Waseem Alkurdi

compatibility between MS and $competing_standard

You're forgetting that this is M$ we're talking about here. Internet Explorer? Win32 APIs?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Meh

the Win32 API is fine with me. ".Net" and UWP, I have serious issues with THOSE...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you kidding? I still run into compatibility issues between the Windows and Mac versions of PowerPoint documents, I doubt they’re going to ensure compatibility with OpenDoc formats first.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Go

I haven't bothered to look at notepad in Win-10-nic, and really don't wanna boot up the VM right now...

Is Notepad in Win-10-nic a UWP application? If not, them I'm happy they're fixing it to (finally) handle UTF-8. If they can handle UNIX-style line endings, even better!

Otherwise, they ALREADY broke it by going to UWP.

2. Quatroux
    Thumb Up

Paste as plain text

All I want to do is strip out the formatting before I paste this text I liberated from Wikipedia into my presentation.

1. 0laf Silver badge
      Angel

Re: Paste as plain text

This is the ultimate use of Notepad for me.

I like Notepad++ too.

2. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: Paste as plain text

"Paste as Plain Text" (under Paste Special).

Or they managed to screw up that too?

3. Hans 1 Silver badge
    Windows

No-to-pad

Could you, maybe, pretty please consider adding support for \n line endings ?

Almost 40 years late, that. Yes, I know write.exe has it, but that acts a bit silly when you try to save text files ...oh, and while you're at it, write.exe, could you make it write txt files without the double quote hackery, pretty please ?

1. jsa

Re: No-to-pad

They already have: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/extended-eol-in-notepad/

4. tekHedd

Notepad++

I just came in here to upvote the first person who mentioned Notepad++, but I noticed nobody has, yet. Not sure exactly why anyone would still use built-in Notepad unless the world was ending or, well, actually I'm not sure why it would matter then either.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Notepad++

I don't use it in pretty much any situation, but I think that a basic text editor should be shipped by default on any OS. Not necessarily one that can cope with a lot of things, but a thing that you can be guaranteed is there when you have to write a script on someone else's machine. For that reason, they should leave it fast, basic, and minimalist.

2. LDS Silver badge

Re: Notepad++

The problem are locked-down servers where correctly nobody installs a software which needs updates too. Knowing you have a decent, standard text editor always available is good news.

Notepad does need some improved capabilities, i.e. search and replace, and a few others. Especially since most software now got back to text files for configurations - as even Microsoft since it switched to .NET, UWP, and PowerShell is no longer able to deliver usable configuration UIs.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF PEOPLE

Did I miss something here?

All aboard the Social Credit System?

Why the heck would you want every device you already use fine hooked up?!

You weren't supposed to PAY for your invasion of privacy, not in "1984" at least!

Ingsoc!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019