back to article It sounds like a new train line, but no: Compute Express Link is PCIe 5.0 server CPU-accelerator glue from Intel and pals

Big-name tech companies will together unveil yet another interconnect, this one dubbed Compute Express Link or CXL, which is aimed at plugging data-center CPUs into accelerator chips. The technology is built on fifth-generation PCIe protocols and electrical connections, meaning it can top out at 32 billion data transfers per …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

Compute Express

So that's just a hype train?

2. baspax

I was told ...

software only is the only way to go. What's up with all these FPGAs and GPUs.

I wonder if those SIlicon Valley douchebros are all full of it

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: I was told ...

Well, GPUs run software, and today's FPGAs are programmed like software. It's code all the way down.

C.

2. eldakka

Re: I was told ...

Your software has to run on something, it's not just magical pixies or demons that do it.

An FPGA I think is really just a software-defined CPU (or any other sort of xPU). In fact, a FPGA is a more general processor than a CPU, as it can be reprogrammed on the fly via software configuration to replicate any other processor you have enough gates for.

If you have an FPGA with enough gates, and the license to do so, you could program your FPGA (via software on the fly) to be an Intel CPU, or an AMD GPU, or ARM, or whatever.

A GPU is just a hugely parallel processor from this perspective, it's not a 'Graphics'PU. Graphics is just a subset of what can be run on a massively parallel processor like what is traditionally called a GPU.

3. Daniel von Asmuth
    Megaphone

It's not an Open Organistation

.....unless The Register joins it.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: It's not an Open Organistation

But would they want to join an organisation that would have them as a member?

4. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Big Brother

Is Apple not on this bus?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like