back to article Google sells 'predictable' storage costs: $120k for a year before you get a foot in the door, though

Google has squeezed out a plan for what it calls "predictable" cloud storage pricing, locking customers into a year-long payment commitment. The barrier to entry for the Cloud Storage Growth Plan is at least $10k a month for a year – so $120,000 – at a fixed rate, based on GCP storage needs the customer has forecast for high …

1. nautica
    Boffin

What people won't do / pay to be "cool"--

One can buy a LOT of SSDs and / or spinning rust for this kind of money--and it's nowhere near as perishable as depending on radio contact with Google--or MOST importantly, depending on the WHIMS of Google to hold, keep, and return one's data, absolutely intact, forever and ever.

2. Shippwreck1

If I’ve read the google article linked to correctly it’s not that “the prior 12 month's usage would be free“ if you’re within 30% but the “overage” associated with it, ie you won’t pay for the excess you used so long as that excess is within 30% of the target usage...

3. DCFusor Silver badge

Ever notice

That the really big guys, who actually have vast amounts of *meaningful* data (not just packratting) are 100% on-prem?

Most outfits that think they are in the "big data league" really are not. Many are just unaware of the real meaning of "big", or simply hold onto data in hot storage that is at most of historical interest - not that it stops them from feeding irrelevant data to models to train them.

Yeah, I'm a skeptic of clouds, cold-calling stockbrokers (well, all cold-callers, actually - not one has ever been for my benefit in dunno, 6 decades?).

No one cares about your stuff like you do. The myth is that some cloud provider has more expertise per buck than a local highly qualified sysadmin and programmer. It's a myth. When they fall over, you wind up hiring such to fix it, since their underpaid largely H1B staff can't and don't really care.

And of course, it's an emergency, and you have to pay at least triple for these high skilled consultants to not only learn all your operation from scratch, but then fix the immediate issue, usually then letting them go rather than fixing the causes of that issue.

Your own guys care. Yes, it's hard to hire and retain good ones - and even know the difference. You think that's easier for a big cloud outfit where on top of the other insults, you're just one of a crowd in cubicles? Do the best tolerate that treatment? Do you really think cloud providers have better line-level talent? I have this spare bridge...Call Oracle for details.

But for the quarter that the cloud didn't fail, some MBA gets a bigger bonus, for saving money - in the short term. Yeah, that thinking is how all great, highly profitable outfits came to be. Oh, wait...

4. Goodwyn

Does Azure Really Have Storage Reservations?

Great to hear how Google is approaching storage. My question though is to the ending statement that Azure has Storage reservations. They do have compute reservations as well as SQL and Cosmo, but thus far I have not seen storage reservations. A fact that I have tried to impress on Microsoft for some time. Unless your speaking to some type of case by case customer agreement that can be had, I don't believe storage reservations exist at Microsoft, at least not publicly.

My references:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/billing/billing-save-compute-costs-reservations

This article does go into some detail as to storage not being cover by reservations. The only time you see the word reservation even used in Azure's storage calculator is when they are talking about Ultra SSD and then only that your setting how many vCPU hours your planning to attach to that storage type a month.

I could be wrong, but maybe worth some time to verify or link within your article for both Azure and Amazon where "storage reservation" pricing might be found.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019