back to article Alphabet snoop: If you're OK with Google-spawned Chronicle, hold on, hold on, dipping into your intranet traffic, wait, wait

Google-spawned security outfit Chronicle this week unveiled a service that analyzes telemetry data from customers' networks to detect cyber-attacks lurking among the rivers of packets. Dubbed Backstory, the tool will allow IT admins to sift through things like DNS usage, endpoint activity logs, and Cisco NetFlow data to see …

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Nice horse!

So, the only difference between this and spyware is that the creator, having the population of a large city and being intensely focused on hoarding personal data, says it won't share data and it's here to help?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice horse!

Exactly!

There should be some snort rules to help admins detect if there is any Google presence on the network so it can be rooted out and blocked.

Kaspersky was alerting users of a self signed Google cert on their network:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/kaspersky-av-having-certificate-conflicts-with-google-chromecast/

Also:

"Alphabet-backed company says it does not sell nor share any user data."

Doesn't Facebook also insist that they never sell user data?

1. veti Silver badge

Google selling its user data would be like Saudi Arabia selling its oil wells: insanely profitable up front, but only as a prelude to going out of business.

1. BebopWeBop Silver badge

share holders have been known to favour short term gains you know - and if there is going (one lives in hope) to be a long term clampdown on companies like Google and Facebook, that future revenue may be illusory.

2. JohnFen Silver badge

As a user, I don't see a meaningful difference between selling the data and selling access to users based on the data.

2. theblackhand

"Kaspersky was alerting users of a self signed Google cert on their network:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/kaspersky-av-having-certificate-conflicts-with-google-chromecast/"

If I understand this issue correctly, Kapersky is using a self-signed SSL certificate to allow it to scan SSL content and Googles use of HSTS is causing the error to be flagged.

Or am I missing something?

2. Rich 11 Silver badge

says it won't share data and it's here to help

Of course Alphabet will say that, because if the NSA want access to any of that data Alphabet won't be allowed to say they were obliged to help.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

Sounds like the Talk Talk service of "Send packets to China"

Which way they got dubbed "Stalk Stalk."

A good enough reason for many to dump them at the time

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Pirate

Of course we can trust Google

I mean, it's not like they've ever stuffed a microphone in a subsidiary's consumer gear without telling anyone what it does or anything.

4. Milton Silver badge

Spiffing Wheeze

So, large parts of the world are awash with bad actors stealing data, from nation states downloading terabyte data sets for Lockheed's F-35, through Fancy Bear lice working for ex-KGB scumbags, all the way to the FOAB in Bumphuk, New Jersey.

The remainder of the planet is fighting a batle against corporate executives at Facebook and Google—morally indistinguishable from Vlad The Emailer's rind of scuzz—who have by this point become nothing better than serial liars and thieves of personal data.

Against this background of law-of-the-jungle theft and lies—condoned and perpetuated by the inaction of politicians long since bought and paid for by the internet giants' lobbyists—a business whose continued existence may well depend upon the confidentiality of its IP and operating data, is going to send all of its comms data to the worst offender of all, as a security measure?

It's just more evidence, as if were it needed, for the theory that air pollution is destroying humanity's IQ levels; or that the aliens shone a Stupidity Ray through planet Earth sometime in the late 1990s and have been watching and giggling ever since.

A story worthy of April 1st.

FOAB: "Fatty On a Bed"—the Orange Cretin's fantasy of a hacker, "Fat guy sitting on a bed somewhere" ... if FOAB was gagging down his third Big Mac while watching Fox&F***tards, I think he got the idea from the Presidential Mirror.

5. jacksmith210060

Makes sense. Nobody better at security than Google. They dropped a big zero day with MacOS yesterday that Apple still had not fixed after 90 days.

Saw Microsoft added Google Reptoline to Windows to make more secure without performance hit.

Google has now found Shellshock, Cloudbleed, Spectre, Heartbleed, Meltdown among of a bunch of others.

Makes sense for the tech company best at security to offer it as a service.

1. joed

If only they cared as much for privacy. Current trend of "security" taking precedence over privacy of users is troubling. Very much like all the policies enacted in name of protecting children, preventing terrorism, piracy etc.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. sabroni Silver badge

Really useful to be able to see all of someone's posts in one place.

I'm not calling anyone a shill!

3. JohnFen Silver badge

"Nobody better at security than Google."

Oh? I'd like to see evidence for that, particularly since their entire business model is antagonistic to security.

6. Fatman Silver badge
    WTF?

Just WHO is this """service""" really aimed at??

No IT professional would want any part of shipping your intranet traffic out to a third party, so who really are they positioning this to?

The obvious clue is Manglement especially those completely clueless, and more focused on cutting costs so the executive bonus pool can be increased. The same type of dimfuckwits that feel that the cloud (aka someone else's computer) is the cure all for one's ills.

Note to readers: IF your mangler starts considering this to solve your problems, get your resume in order.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just WHO is this """service""" really aimed at??

"No IT professional would want any part of shipping your intranet traffic out to a third party, so who really are they positioning this to?"

Let me introduce you to IT Security - they've just signed up your company for the following cloud-based/outsourced security service.

The examples of this are too numerous to list.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey Google!

BOG OFF

I already see dozens of your bots trying to access my network each and every day.

I've already denied more than 100 domains that belong to you.

What goes on on my network is not of your effing business.

YOU ARE NOT WELCOME

Go home to America and MAGA. Leave the rest of us alone. We do not need you.

1. Chris G Silver badge

Re: Hey Google!

Get off my fecking lawn and don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining.

8. JohnFen Silver badge

Oh, great

Now we'll get even more companies selling us out to Google.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019