back to article Western Digital sees storage sun rise in NVMe land... and slowly set on SATA, SAS SSDs

Western Digital (WD) has started to replace its SATA and SAS SSDs with faster NVMe drives. Both the 2.5-inch Ultrastar DC SN630 and M.2 2280 (single-sided) format CL SN720 use WD and Toshiba's 64-layer 3D NAND configured for TLC (3bits/cell) using PCIe v3 4-lane and NVMe v1.3 interfaces. WD is keen to say that it has produced …

1. tentimes

Can they compete with Samsung?

Samsungs PCIE Nvme drives are cheap as chips. I would question whether anyone can compete with them atm as they are almost dumping them.

1. Smokeytiel

Re: Can they compete with Samsung?

They own Samsung's SSD division

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All that power and speed ..

.. just to get Windows to cold boot in under 5 minutes.

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All that power and speed ..

When our home desktop screws up on me, too bad, but when it happens to my spouse, it's "get it fixed and I don't care what it takes!"

Well this time last year it took an i7-8700k w/a 500 Gig Samsung 970 EVO NVMe and 16 gigs of ram, and now my system boots from the BIOS splash screen to Windows in under 2 seconds. 5 minutes is o so 5 years ago ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Power use

> The typical power consumption is 10.75w

That seems excessive. My Mac Mini uses around 19w - with two 512GB SATA SSDS in it (measured at the wall). Many laptops are similar.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020