back to article It was the best of times, it was the WFIRST of times: How NASA's next exoplanet hunter could find 1,000+ worlds

NASA’s in-development Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope could help scientists discover as many as 1,400 distant exoplanets, according to new estimates. The mission, dubbed WFIRST, was proposed in 2010 by the US National Research Council. Seen as a successor to the retired orbiting Kepler space telescope, WFIRST will also be …

1. tfb Silver badge
    Boffin

I hadn't realised

that WFIRST had been brought back to life after being a victim of the orange shitgibbon. That's good news (although I bet most of the Earth observation stuff he also killed is still dead, which is very bad news).

1. UKHobo
      Happy

Re: I hadn't realised

orange shitgibbon, very good, well done.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The origins of the ...

https://slate.com/culture/2017/02/the-origin-of-the-trump-insult-shitgibbon-revealed.html

1. tfb Silver badge

I got it from Charlie Stross. I had assumed it was common usage!

2. Graham Jordan

I came here to discuss the James Webb delay,

I had to pick myself off the floor over the orange shitgibbon. Well done sir. Well done.

2. Pen-y-gors Silver badge

Never mind mapping...

Sod all this 'finding 1400 new exoplanets' stuff. When are we launching the orange shitgibbon and the Maybot in a small capsule to land on & explore one? We could call it the B Ark maybe?

1. Chris G Silver badge

Re: Never mind mapping...

I think you may have found the perfect ballistic material for firinf at an asteroid. Lets face it 2 kilos of copper is worth some money.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Never mind mapping...

A B-Ark might indeed solve the problem, and adding shitgibbons of all colours does seem a good course of action, but don't send all the telephone sanitisers, history (or at least the HHGTTG) tells us

Doffs hat to the late, great Douglas Adams once more

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019