back to article Azure IoT heads spacewards to maintain connectivity at the edge, courtesy of Inmarsat

While HoloLens 2 took center stage at this year's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Microsoft sneaked out some intriguing Azure Internet-of-Things news aimed at dealing with connectivity challenges in remote areas. Those partaking in the Satya Nadella buzzword drinking game were likely under the table before the Microsoft …

1. steelpillow Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Vodafone, please do not be idiots

Henceforth, SoC stands for Sim-on-Chip.

But if it's tied to the telco, that would not be good as it would create a standards-free free-for-all among chip/telco alliances that would hold back everybody, including the original idiot telco, for a decade. Vodafone, please do not be idiots.

1. Nick Kew Silver badge

Re: Vodafone, please do not be idiots

Do you have reason to suppose Vodafone have any intention of that?

What I see is Vodafone grasping new opportunities. They are, for example, Amazon's partner providing free-to-the-user connectivity for Kindle users - a departure from the business model of charging users. The new business model has low margins, so they need volume!

1. steelpillow Silver badge

Re: Vodafone, please do not be idiots

Name me a global player which does not grasp new opportunities for monopolies. It always ends in tears for the rest of us.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Satellite data connection

Have fun with that. The satellite hardware will be larger than whatever is collecting the data, and will increase the bill from the power company quite a bit as well. However, the major problem is that the satellite comms companies charge quite a lot for the hardware to connect in the first place. If places only want to connect up one thing with this, that might be doable, but there is no way they're getting to twenty billion of the things under that model.

I have a feeling that most real use cases for middle of nowhere collection devices fall into one of three categories:

1. The device is located close enough to a place that can provide connectivity.

2. The device is attached to a power line, and there is also old-fashioned telephone cable out to it as well, which will cost less (probably).

3. The device does not send a lot of information, and can get some use out of the long-range, low-bandwidth radio communication systems.

I'm happy for the company to prove me wrong by coming out with a small, power efficient, and cheap satellite connection system that can be connected to anything. I wouldn't wait on it, though.

3. JustJasonThings

Satya Nadella buzzword drinking game

Anyone got a link?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019