back to article Splunk does a bunk from Russia: No software and services for you, Putin!

Big data analytics outfit Splunk will no longer be big in Russia after the company confirmed plans to stop selling its wares there. Reflecting what Splunk referred to as "shifting priorities", neither it nor its resellers will be flinging software or services to organisations in Russia. Existing customers will keep getting …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Splunk ?

Sounds like the adults only version of Kerplunk.

1. eldakka Silver badge

It's a play on Spelunking.

They see the data analytics capabilities of their product as the data-equivalent of Spelunking, climbing into the unexplored (data)reaches of an organisation, shining a light on the unexplored (data)caves and making sense of it.

They even have (or had) a t-shirt with a cartoon figure Spelunker in a cave which is made up of undecipherable data, but where the spelunkers torch shines the data in the beam is comprehensible.

I don't work for Splunk, nor with the product, but as part of looking into the product my company did some training on it.

2. Trixr Bronze badge
      Black Helicopters

Where have you been this last decade?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Where have you been this last decade?

Stuck in a cave it would seem

2. K

Call me a cynic....

But no commercial enterprise simple cuts off its income... My guess is, they had f*ck all customers there and it was commercially unviable.

Lets face it, Russians are frugal, my guess is 99% of their market uses an ELK or HADOOP stack to achieve the same end..

1. Aladdin Sane Silver badge

Re: Call me a cynic....

Punchcards

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Call me a cynic....

or cutting Russia off opens a big contract with the US government?

3. JP_Veeam

Software is a diminishing business in Russia for government business

The government passed a law that any software bought from outside of Russia vendors must be justified annually as to why no in Russia company can provide such software to the government.

As such, there are lots of small companies that essentially sell similar products to things like Splunk, Oracle, etc. to take advantage of the government business.

1. K

Re: Software is a diminishing business in Russia for government business

@JP_Veeam

Sounds draconian, but shrewd move to build home developed products, if did this and used their brains, they'd sell abroad (Not sure why, by Eastern European countries seem to have a good knack for producing some quality developers and engineers)

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Unintended Consequences Leading to Unexpected Opportunities

Splunk is all about slurping vast amounts of machine-generated data and analysing it, with AI and machine learning tools giving customers "actionable and predictive insights". Unless, it would seem, those customers are in Russia.

Thus leaving an actionable and predictive insightful services vacuum to attract viable and valuable competitors into the Applications and Programming of AIdDevelopment Spaces ..... which be as your Virtually Real Places which Media and News Present in Sight and Sound showing the Current Stages of ......... well, it would be nice to think there be at least One Solitary Soul in an Office of Strategic Services for Future Perfect AIMasterPlans with Exciting Earth-shattering Views to Phish and Phorm/Remotely BetaTest and Deploy ...... Present to AIMainStream Media for Slow and Sure Percolation to the Unwitting Masses.

Something which currently one is led to believe, the East Excel and are Excellent at. They certainly distract all the attention away from suddenly unfolding catastrophic breaches of security with failed protection systems at homes and bases in and for the West.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Была́ не была́

She was she was not? (The stresses give away that this is a cut and paste from a learning site).

"Нет обслуживания в России" (No service in Russia) might be better.

5. Kev99

$57 million loss on $480 Million revenues? That's either one helluva shittily run company or those numbers fictitious cpa accounting. How it could be an ongoing concern with numbers like that is beyond me. They probably made millions if one used real world, cash accounting.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

because Cloud!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020