back to article UK Home Office dumps huge sack of complex data sets on biometrics ethics board's desk, goes for beer (probably)

The UK's advisory body for biometrics and forensics ethics has had another chunk of oversight added to its already laden basket – instructing the Home Office on ethical issues in large, complex data sets. The group currently consults with Home Office ministers on the use of tech that generates biometric and forensic data, …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"There's a real risk that this fragments already scarce expertise and resource"

It rather looks as if the HO etc. is trying to make matters worse by snowing them under. I think if I were on that committee I'd reverse the tactic - you stop using it all until you've made a case and had it reviewed and it'll get passed faster if we have less to weed out.

1. Intractable Potsherd Silver badge

Agreed, Doctor Syntax. I sit on some ethics committees, and the way to deal with questions is to stop (or not give permission to start) whatever it is until the questions are clarified.

2. Gordon 10 Silver badge
    FAIL

Oversight without enforcement

Unless Im mistaken this is a policy making group with no enforcement remit and/or no sister group to enforce their policies?

In other words not worth the paper they are generating.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Oversight without enforcement

Cosmetic seems the best description. Or maybe diversionary.

3. Harry Stottle

Call me cynical

because I am.

The purpose of an Ethics board should be to advise on "how we should behave?"

The purpose of this one, I would wager, is to determine "what can we get away with?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019