back to article US man and Brit teen convict indicted over school bomb threat spree

A 20-year-old American man who allegedly used the Twitter handle @WantedByFeds has been charged with DDoSing, sending bomb threats and more along with a British teenager who is already in prison. Timothy Dalton Vaughn, of North Carolina in the US, was indicted by a grand jury* earlier this week after American federal …

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Headmaster

Duke-Cohan, who bizarrely claimed to a forensic psychiatrist that he had a history of harming small animals, is expected to be released from prison in May 2020.

Is that a sentence? I cant tell if the hurting animals bit is his claim or an additional fact.

1. GnuTzu
      Unhappy

To rephrase: another sick perpetrator is about to be set free, possibly with no oversight or mental health treatment. Maybe this one needs to go to Broadmoor instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe this one needs to go to Broadmoor instead.

Let the Yanks extradite him. It'd be a lot cheaper than the third of a million quid per bed at Broadmoor.

1. GnuTzu

Extradition works too.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

So does...

So does accidentally falling off of the Isle of Wight ferry.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is that a sentence?

The lesson seems to be that if you claim (presumably both inaccurately and with no good reason) that the forensic psychiatrist assigned to you has a history of harming small animals, it will affect the time you spend in prison.

The other reading, i.e. that Duke-Cohan had said that he himself had a history of harming small animals isn't especially bizarre, and so presumably isn't what is meant.

:-)

3. Alister

Seems to be a perfectly clear sentence to me, I don't see what is ambiguous about it?

If we break it up, the main sentence is: "Duke-Cohan is expected to be released from prison in May 2020."

The comment within the sentence is: "Duke-Cohan bizarrely claimed to a forensic psychiatrist that he had a history of harming small animals."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The comment within the sentence

"Duke-Cohan bizarrely claimed to a forensic psychiatrist that he had a history of harming small animals."

Presumably the claimed ambiguity is wrt the "he" in the comment - it could arguably refer to either Duke-Cohan or the forensic psychiatrist.

(although perhaps if you know/remember what an "apposition" is (see comment below), the second possibility is somehow excluded?)

4. iron Silver badge

It is definitely a sentence and is not ambiguous in the least. That grammatical construction is called apposition and was taught in my school when I was 12 years old. (a long time ago now)

1. Paul Kinsler

It is definitely a sentence and is not ambiguous in the least.

I agree it's a sentence, and that it's intended meaning is clear enough; but I do think it could be better worded so as to be more easily understood, and to stop perverse readings of the type given above.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

More precisely, what we have here is what's often known as a "complex" sentence, where an independent clause is interrupted by a dependent clause. You're correct that the dependent clause is in apposition, in this case to the subject of the independent clause. A phrase (which of course can be a clause) in apposition acts grammatically as an adjective; here it modifies the proper noun "Duke-Cohan".

While someone could make the argument that the antecedent of the pronoun "he" in the dependent clause is ambiguous, it would take a deliberately resistant reading to make it anything other than "who", which as the subject of the dependent clause clearly has as its antecedent "Duke-Cohan".

This is all quite straightforward English grammar, and competent readers of English ought to have little difficulty with it. Well, relatively speaking, considering it's English - a language with notoriously irrational grammar, usage, inflection, and orthography.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

You've got to be confident going up against somebody like Krebs. Maybe a bit too confident in their case/

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yes, though it's worth noting that what finally got Vaughn was a mistake in OPSEC - an area where he was generally quite careful. He used one of his hacker identities for an online gaming site, and tied it to a mobile phone number; and then later that site was itself hacked and user records were released, which eventually led to Vaughn's identity being compromised.

It's quite interesting, really. Krebs's blog post on the subject (linked in the article) is worth reading.

3. drewzilla79
    Go

He met his Waterloo

Came here for quick-witted references to lackluster late 80's Bond films, leaving disappointed.

Not surprised...In my business you prepare for the unexpected.

1. Shugyosha

Re: He met his Waterloo

I expect a spell inside will scare the living daylights out of him.

4. ukgnome

Why do they always give themselves such kitsch names

If I was to form a collective of internet mischief makers i would call it

The Bastard Squad

or

Team WankForce

Go meta. "We are the Kitsch! Tremble before us!"

The judges will also accept "Team Ludicrously Hyperbolic Name" and "League of Posturing".

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Who/what created these people?

They are just one or two in a crowd of criminal idiots that we see around the place these days ... where did they come from? What makes people think that they can get away with this kind of stupidity? I think that our education system and society are to blame - education is just about "passing tests and making the grade" these days, morals, right, and wrong play no part in it while society thinks that Austerity is a blessing and will provide a huge bonus without causing any harm. The British ruling class had the same basic education and training as the criminals - we're just getting what we paid for.

Re: Who/what created these people?

Are ... are you suggesting there weren't malicious, criminal, antisocial vandals before now? Or before the modern era? Or at any point in history?

Because I'm pretty sure we've always had people like this. At one point in time their exploits might have been largely limited to, say, accusing single women of witchcraft and burning down the odd barn; but that's just a question of opportunity.

6. Cuddles

Grand jury

I can't help getting a bit of a northern feel whenever I hear that term.

"Eee, this jury's just grand Gromit. Pass the Wensleydale lad."

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

the grand jury system

There's a reason why the grand jury system is enshrined in the US constitution - specifically in the Fifth Amendment, part of the Bill of Rights. As Gareth wrote, it has its origins in English Common Law (specifically in Henry II's transfer of power to royal courts and in Magna Carta); but its deployment in the US had a somewhat different purpose.

In principle, grand juries offer an important check on prosecutorial power. That's why they have investigatory powers - so that the members of the grand jury can determine whether prosecution is legitimate, or a case of overreach, political oppression, personal vendetta, subornation, etc.

Unfortunately, in practice, statistics show that grand juries are incredibly unwilling to refuse to indict. In 2010, Federal grand juries returned an indictment in 99.99% of cases. It's just one of many problems with the US prosecution system today; other major ones include the two types of "chickenshit prosecutions", the trend for the various state's-attorney offices to serve as stepping stones to other political positions; and extremely excessive sentencing laws passed by cowardly legislators who don't want to be seen as "soft on crime".

The idea of a grand jury system remains a good one, though. Other countries which have dispensed with them aren't necessarily paragons of judicial virtue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the grand jury system

And this enlightening video explains more about the Fifth Amendment and why saying nothing when near a police officer is sound advice.

https://youtu.be/d-7o9xYp7eE

8. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

George Duke-Cohan aka 7R1D3N7 aka DoubleParalla aka optcz1

Duke-Cohan being arrested

R -v George Duke-Cohan Sentencing Remarks

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like