back to article Nearline disk drive demand dip dropkicks Seagate: How deep is the trough, how deep is the trough?

Seagate was caught out by an unexpectedly deep drop in disk drive demand and saw its revenues fall 7 per cent. Along with the rest of the tech world, it talked about a recovery mid-year, and promised world+dog at least one more lousy quarter. Reported revenues (PDF) for its second quarter of fiscal '19, ended 28 December, were …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prices haven't really moved in years on drives, just the capacity going up, thus the price increasing per unit.

The floods in Thailand back in 2011 was it? just before then, I bought for work around 50 2TB seagate drives for around £40 each. Haven't seen the price of 2TB drive ever drop down to that again, the price per GB is close now. That was 7-8 years ago. Prices haven't changed, they need to drop to get demand to increase, especially since SSD prices are dropping.

For home, I have a demand, due to my hoarding :-/ but prices haven't gone down (up for the drives I have) so have been holding out on buying another 50TB or so until I really 'need' it, or a good deal shows up.

2. jason 7

How much do we need?

Looking around my humble abode I counted up around 24TB of storage (I have a couple of NAS but also quite a few inherited 2TB HDDs just sitting in a pile).

I'm probably using 2TB of it all? Of that only 30GB is maybe critical (kinda).

3. Daleos

Would I ever want to move my 8TB of my nice to have but not really essential work archives to the cloud? 8TB costs a few quid to store onsite so you're probably looking at £300-£400 including a mirror that in all likelihood would last 10 years or more if the drives were uses sparingly. Compare that to nearline storage over the same period. It's almost 10x the price. The numbers just don't add up. Sure, the cloud is great for critical files and for stuff that needs to be accessed from wherever but most 'archive' data is just a load of crap so it's just not worth it to pay month on month to keep it. I don't doubt many companies do absolutely need nearline but for most of us, it's just paying for storing stuff we really ought to just dump in the first place.

4. Daniel von Asmuth Bronze badge
    Paris Hilton

Trump? Yes, we can!

Let's make Data Big again and pray Venezuela will pay for them.

5. GreenReaper
    IT Angle

SSDs are the default now

Servers are increasingly being offered and bought with all-SSD storage nowadays, even at the lower ends of the market. Not saying spinning hard drives are dead, but it's gotten to the point where they're becoming the thing you add, rather than SSDs. The performance edge is undeniable, and the labour costs are the same (maybe less since they're arguably more reliable). Less heat and power, too, which can be big factors.

1. cmaurand

Re: SSDs are the default now

I would agree. I have no desire to purchase any more spinning drives. New servers get HDME SSD's. I haven't looked back. Spinning drives have too many moving parts to fail.

HDD's are dying. SSD's are ascending

6. M.V. Lipvig
    Pirate

I put the blame squarely on M$. I really need a new computer, and need Windoze mainly because I can't program and have never gotten Linux to work for me, but Win10 is such a mess. I'm stuck with it at work, which is really the greatest thing ever when I'm in the middle of testing a circuit just to have my computer shut down for updates every week or so with no way of stopping it. I'll put up with that at work but there's no way I'll tolerate it an interrupted pron session. So, I'm stuck with (and to) my gunky old laptop.

Pirates, fer they be boarding from the rearrr to force me bootin! Arrr, that be stingin, matey!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019