back to article The chips are down: Now Microsoft blames Intel CPU supply shortages for dips in Windows, Office sales

Microsoft on Wednesday credited a boost in its web services operations in driving a 12 per cent jump in sales. The Redmond software house heaped praise on Azure and Office 365 in announcing its figures for the second quarter of its fiscal 2019. For the quarter, ending December 31 of the 2018 calendar year: Revenues of $32. …

1. highdiver_2000

I have observed that lots of companies are moving to Office 365 for their email functions. This sadly translates to a decline in system administrator jobs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exchange admins you mean?

Perhaps MS have finally recognised that there is no money in windows certification and have desided to cut out the middle man, certainly certifying external support means that they cannot profile all the business documentation and communication for resale to advertisers/competitors

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Exchange admins you mean?

MS has identified admins as a subversive element with the dangerous capability of 'Migrating to competitor'. This blatant risk to the bottom line must be stamped out.

Deliberate non use of joke icon.

2. HmmmYes Silver badge

You say that like its a bad thing. Syste madmins, with their BO, klingon etc etc.

3. DougS Silver badge

Getting rid of Exchange admins is bad?

Its doing the poor bastards a favor, they would probably commit suicide after 10 years of doing that!

4. devTrail

This sadly translates to a decline in system administrator jobs.

This actually seem a marketing message. Maybe admins won't be so busy upgrading installations, but this is a solution that solves some problems on one side and creates some more on the other side.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. devTrail

Communicating via pictures

Notice the pictures introducing the articles. Clickbait titles hinting at exchange of accusations between companies and you see Ballmer, positive articles talking about the future and you see Nadella.

4. dajames Silver badge

Intel CPU supply shortages

Wouldn't it be handy if Windows and Office could be run without having to rely on Intel hardware?

Maybe AMD could help?

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Intel CPU supply shortages

"Maybe AMD could help?"

I'm sure the Zen stuff is great on desktop or servers (I haven't seen any yet) but on laptops AMD still is trailing from what I've read on Notebookcheck and other review sites. And the driver support for the GPU is also (reportedly) poor.

I replaced my work laptop late last year and I contemplated on an AMD laptop but ended up with the HP 840 G5 (Intel) because an otherwise identical 745 G5 (AMD) had worse battery life. Perhaps the Zen /Vega graphics are way better but it was irrelevant as I don't game nor do graphical design.

The Intel CPU shortage is still on - we're waiting for a delayed batch of PC's - but Dell/HP/Lenovo are still not pushing AMD at all unless you're looking for consumer laptops. And not even then.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Why do MS think they have a god-given right to every Intel CPU?

Also it makes no sense that they are hit by a PC downturn if there are browser, mobile, and tablet versions as well.

The real reason is there's no need to buy Office any more for your home PC or other devices - if you want to use Office you can take your work laptop home, or install one of the copies of Office you're allowed on your work account, or you get the home use program version if your company allows, or you get the education version if you do evening classes. In their effort to dominate everything, Office for outside of businesses has just become a free or very cheap extension of the Office you're running at work or at school/university.

So much for that idea, Satnad.

1. defiler Silver badge

Re: Why do MS think they have a god-given right to every Intel CPU?

But businesses still use Office, and use it a lot.

I think the real clincher here is that there is virtually no difference between Office 2013 and 2016. Certainly nothing that makes an upgrade purchase compelling. And I don't imagine 2019 will be much different.

So you run with the old licenses so long as you're paying £200 a head for it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally, I haven't been buying Microsoft products because...

they're garbage. I can run a more stable, more secure, less resource-intense OS, for free, including free office software. If Windows was actually better than Linux, I'd consider buying it. Why should I pay for a worse product?

1. defiler Silver badge

Re: Personally, I haven't been buying Microsoft products because...

<sigh>

Because you need to deal with that one application that needs Windows.

Because you need to deal with that one plug-in that needs Office.

Because you need to deal with that one user that can't figure it out.

Because you need to deal with that one CEO that thinks LibreOffice is slow.

And continue for 100 reasons.

Windows isn't perfect, BSD isn't perfect, Linux isn't perfect, MacOS isn't perfect. Hell, even I'm not perfect. But we all get the job done, and if somebody locks us down enough nobody gets hurt.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Personally, I haven't been buying Microsoft products because...

At my workplace, it's because we're using Sharepoint team sites, a Java-powered internal website, OneDrive for Business, Outlook w/ Exchange, etc. I can't even use Firefox or Chrome to access some internal sites (no Java, you see). So Windows is an absolute requirement. (sigh)

7. skalamanga

I'm moving away from windows for the simple reason that I cannot work with an operating system that will not let me decide if and when updates are installed!

8. RLWatkins

Windows and Office sales down because... they're unreliable.

Microsoft are so accustomed to people buying their products even though they're either (a) unreliable, or (b) finally reliable, but de-supported so the company can compel people to pay them again for the *new* one... which is unreliable. It astonishes them that their customers resent that, and that the fraction who are not quite firmly locked in are seeking alternatives. Sounds like a particularly clueless brand of hubris, but it was 35 years in the making.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019