back to article Brexit-ready BT sits back, watches profit rise in CEO's swansong quarter

BT's exiting chief exec Gavin Patterson is bowing out on a relative high as profits leapt by more than a quarter for the first nine months of this fiscal year, boosted by the cost-cutting programme. Patterson, whose £1.3m pay packet caused some rumblings of dissent from shareholders, is to be replaced by ex-Worldpay boss …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Unhappy

"It is too early to estimate the size of any potential impact"

Absolutely, but the problem is that not knowing is having a big impact and it's starting to look like we may not know for a lot longer. Yes, working with, and being in the EU, has it's issues - but watching the Conservative parties (sic) and the Labour parties (sic again) run around in circles seems a lot worse. I'm starting to think that we'd be better off jumping off a big cliff once than just getting kicked off a smaller cliff every bloody week for years and years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "It is too early to estimate the size of any potential impact"

Or - heaven forfend - maybe we should just walk away from the cliff......

1. Richard Jones 1
        Happy

Anyone for buying parachute futures?

1. Teiwaz Silver badge

Anyone for buying parachute futures?

There's probably more profit in getting a monopoly on access to high bridges and buildings.

2. djstardust Silver badge

Like Apple have just realised

You can't just keep putting prices up or people walk away.

The whole carry on with BT putting up the prices every 9 months then offering you the deal you're currently on for a new contract is a joke.

I had been a BT customer since 1986 but left last summer because enough is enough.

1. The Nazz Silver badge

Re: Like Apple have just realised

Indeed. Amazing that such antics have been fully supported by OFCOM and the Government for years.Have long thought that the Government policy is subtle taxation by stealth, allowing such antics and massive profits by BT. Not unlike the energy "price caps" that will see my unit prices actually rise for the second time in less than seven months. Ridiculous.

The Severn Bridge toll has finally been ended as it has been paid for several times over.

Hell, i must've paid BT their costs in installing a landline ( the builders did years ago, BT flicked a switch) many hundreds of times over.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ofcom / Ombudsman Service needs a major rethink.

Ofcom aren't fit for purpose in terms of regulating BT but it's not all Ofcom's fault, they need direction.

Regulators / Ombudsman Services are quite similar to 'Bagpuss' the family cat (Dermot Nolan/Ofgem - the dead family cat), they've found their 'comfy spot' next to the open fire, they get fed daily, sleep if undisturbed, they've become part of the furniture. There is zero imagination/zero due diligence in these organisations, zero.

The problem is, regulators should never become part of the furniture, they should always be looking in terms of what's next and pushing (on our behalf-transparently) to make sure that the Telecoms infrastructure is robust and fit for purpose, that it's able to cope/expand to meet the needs of the Nation.

Instead, we have defensive, narcissistic regulators, that will fight criticism tooth and nail. Ombudsman services act as the bouncer to see off criticism of the regulator, any complaint can't cover the regulator itself, that's just absolute madness.

The quality of Broadband and Mobile in the UK is still ultimately very dependent on where you live, <250m being the ideal and this is all because of the reliance still, on BT's copper carcass. Yep, things are starting to move, but still not quickly enough, long after this was known.

A No Deal Brexit will show how unprepared we actually are.

You can forgive topology of the landscape to some extent, but you can't escape the fact that this technology should be seamless 'just work' and it doesn't, that it's quite capable of being seamless if Ofcom did their job properly and hadn't faffed around with patching up copper for so long, but they are happier just pretending to regulate BT.

Ofcom's talk of ubiquitous 5G is just 'pie in the sky' bullshit, without a fibre backhaul laid to virtually every road/street in Britain. (i.e. for mobile operators cheap commercial backhaul contracts for each 5G cell, because you need a lot of them). Everything is after the fact with Ofcom, BT's copper carcass has a very obvious glass ceiling, yes you can mitigate, but never truly.

We collectively spend a fortune on these regulators and there is still very little transparency, regards how they operate. They generally (especially right now) self-police themselves, manned by people from the telecom's industry, in general, that is ex-BT, due to the sheer ineptness of Government.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhps the majority of the revenue has come from us Premium Mail users...

In just 2.5 years, BT has increased the price from £1.60/mth to £7.50/mth, representing an increase of over 350%. I'm still annoyed at the August 2018 rise from £5/mth

£7.50 indeed. We will be leaving - I'm already encouraging the family to move to Google.

4. J. R. Hartley Silver badge

BT

It's good to walk

1. ICPurvis47
      Flame

Re: BT

It may be "Good to Walk", but when I tried it last autumn, it backfired on me. When I joined BT a couple of years ago, I was offered a "New Customer" discount, and signed up for an 18 month contract. 12 months into that contract, the price suddenly jumped by over 100%. I telephoned to ask why and was told that my discount had ended, and that I was still locked in for another 6 months, until the original contract has ended. I tried to renegotiate in order to reduce the price slightly, and was successful, to a degree. The downside is that I'm now on a new 18 months contract, at a price which is still almost double my original contract, and if I try to "walk away", I will be forced to continue paying for the unused services until those 18 months are up. I am therefore stuck with BT's offerings until I can transfer to another carrier, who is currently advertising a 12 month contract for less than one third of what I am paying now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019