back to article SpaceX enjoys three whole seconds of fire and fury on Pad 39A

SpaceX has finally fired up the engines of the Falcon 9 that is tasked with carrying the company's Crew Dragon spacecraft on its demo flight. The Merlin engines fired for around three seconds by our reckoning (the video is below for those bothered enough to count), which is a little shorter than usual. Static fire test …

1. Graham Cunningham

The fact on if

"The fact SpaceX has been tightlipped on if this indicates something was amiss."

Sentences? We've heard of them.

2. Aladdin Sane Silver badge
    Coat

That's more fire and fury than I can normally manage.

1. imanidiot Silver badge
      Flame

I don't know, I'm certain I achieved at least momentary lift-off this morning.

3. Wellyboot Silver badge

First space tailback?

>>>[Launch] date could easily slip deep into March if the ISS partners get twitchy about SpaceX's Demo-1 mission turning up at around the same time as a Soyuz and, er, a SpaceX cargo Dragon.<<<

I can't think of any good reason why they would get twitchy, short of 2 arriving at the exact same time.

Soyuz will arrive > dock > be there for months

Cargo will arrive > dock > be there for as long as it takes

Demo-1 will arrive > hopefully dock > be sent back fairly soon after.

These can happen in any order.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: First space tailback?

Maybe the crew dragon is supposed to dock to the port the Cargo dragon would be docked to? They don't have a massive amount of free docking ports and some are more suitable for a first time docking than others

4. Mark 85 Silver badge

Government shudown to blame?

The 3 second burn seems short but with the shutdown in place who knows why it was? Hopefully it wasn't due to mechanical/software issues.

5. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

3 seconds

is the usual amount for the full test of the falcon 9.. they'll stick cameras up the engines and review the engine data... but as its a reasonably mature rocket now, they'll know where most of the bugs are.

Just depends on when they've done the review plus can get a lunching slot.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: 3 seconds

I try to lunch around midday, but it can be hard to get a reservation.

1. TeraTelnet
        Coat

If you think that's bad, try getting anything at Dorsia around that time.

1. Jay 2

Patrick, is that you? Better scan the Zagat for somewhere else to go...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019