back to article Real-time OS: Ordnance Survey gets snuggly with Intel's Mobileye

Britain's Ordnance Survey is beginning to provide businesses with real-time information for the first time – almost. A partnership with Intel's Mobileye autonomous driving unit will provide information on roadside infrastructure such as manhole covers and markings. Utilities are intended to be a primary customer. They should …

1. Alister
    Thumb Up

Love the accompanying map image... "Bell End"

ROFL

2. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Flame

Personally, I'd rather they fixed the fucking potholes.

rather than sprinkle "autonomous mapping" shit all over them.

I guess I'm a weirdo.

1. Steve Todd

Re: Personally, I'd rather they fixed the fucking potholes.

Local government is responsible for fixing potholes, not OS. Different department and budget.

Potentially they can use this data to identify and prioritize fixing of potholes

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Potentially they can use this data to identify and prioritize fixing of potholes"

One can hope......

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Potentially they can use this data to identify and prioritize fixing of potholes

IME it is rarely lack of knowledge that stops councils fixing potholes, it is allocation of resources and will power. Luckily my county council is rather good in this respect, but I've done enough driving to know that some county councils really couldn't give a toss (a big shout out to Oxfordshire CC here, as one serial offender).

2. Teiwaz

rather than sprinkle "autonomous mapping" shit all over them.

I guess I'm a weirdo.

Well, sounds like O.S. have their shit together - The local councils don't seem to

Perhaps you should start a campaign for the O.S. to take over managing Road Works for the entire country....

Such a vastly inflated organisation would invariably become a fat quango struggling to cope with the overload in no time - i.e. almost a true Government Department.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Such a vastly inflated organisation would invariably become a fat quango struggling to cope with the overload in no time - i.e. almost a true Government Department.

Already been done for trunk roads, which are managed by Highways England (and yes, they are a fat quango struggling to cope...).

3. steelpillow Silver badge
    Unhappy

Ripe for the picking

Another government sell-off to private extortionists enterprise approaches, then.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Ripe for the picking

They converted it into a Ltd company in 2015, so yes, it's just a matter of time.

1. Threlkeld

As it's the Ordnance Survey, presumably it still has some military function which has kept it in public ownership? There is an invisible line which defines what can be sold off and what must be retained in public ownership, but it doesn't seem logical. I'm sure that there are many military functions which would attract foreign interest, even if it was only for sponsorship. I've always thought that the 'Hitachi Grenadier Guards' would look well outside Buckingham Palace, for instance, and why are we still naming Navy ships traditionally instead of utilising those big grey expanses for advertising - a big horizontal Pepsi bottle would be almost as good as dazzle camouflage, and would bring in the sort of steady, reliable income so sadly lacking in the military tradition.

1. Alister

I'm sorry, did you mean Buckingham Palacetm (sponsored by BowWows, the Corgi's choice)?

1. Teiwaz

sponsored by BowWows, the Corgi's choice

Don't you mean BowWows, by Royal Appointment

You don't see those added to labelling anymore? Aren't Hello magazine doing their job of finding out which pile cream elderly member of the R.F. are using to combat the effects of too many photo-ops next to cold stone walls in kilts...? (that's the people in kilts, not the stone walls - although with some of them, it's hard to tell the difference I know).

2. steelpillow Silver badge
          Facepalm

"it still has some military function which has kept it in public ownership?"

You mean like the armament manufacturers, the Galileo satnav network and the "doughnut" inhabited by GCHQ?

1. Cragganmore

You mean the Galileo project that we're no longer part of because it's run by those beastly Europeans.

Back to the subject - according to Wiki (so it must be true etc) "part of Ordnance Survey has operated as Ordnance Survey Ltd since 2015"... it begs the question which part has been ring-fenced as its own legal entity and for what purpose? Maybe the team that has the worlds biggest collection of coloured pencils for all that shading work.

Also the Met Office was until recently MoD-'owned' but now an "Executive Agency" (such a lovely term) and a Trading Fund of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Even our war-fighters need to know whether to bring an umbrella to the battlefield.

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Disappointing...

I'm very disappointed in you all.

The picture element accompanying this story that focuses on "Bell End" is clearly an invitation by the author for us to use the comments section in a highly futile, pathetic and childish manner to highlight other British place names with rude connotations to them.

Cocking for example, which is in West Sussex.

1. Cragganmore

Re: Disappointing...

There's a Muff Street in Bradford... snigger

2. Alister

Oh, you've done it now!

Let's avoid the obvious ones, like Scunthorpe and Penistone, shall we? Oh, too late...

Cockermouth, Cumbria

Ecclefechan, Dumfries and Galloway

Lickey End, Worcestershire

Little Snoring, Norfolk

Lower Assendon, Oxfordshire

Lower Dicker, East Sussex

Upper Boddam, Aberdeenshire

Shall I go on?

3. Teiwaz

I'm very disappointed in you all.

I think it's due to the pent up need to rant that was stymied by lack of good incendiary over the festive period.

Needed a good Political piece to let that out before the blatant invitation to innuendo was published.

4. caffeine addict

I'm currently amused by "Offley Endowed Primary School".

Not rude, but it still amuses me. Especially if you say it in a Hyacinth Bucket voice...

5. tiggity Silver badge

.. You assume we can even see the picture (images are optional!)

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

How about Lewd Lane at Biddenden Green in Kent

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You get your money's worth at "Three Holes" on the Norfolk-Cambridgeshire border.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Real time tracking of...

Manhole covers?

I always assumed those things moved too fast to be tracked. I guess this just proves how far we've come, technologically speaking, as a society.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Real time tracking of...

Manhole covers?

Or bollards, apparently. I taught my two young nephews that word and had them say it every time we came across one while walking the national mall in DC. It drove their parents up the wall but kept the kids happy. They're never too young to be taught basic principles of security.

2. Is It Me
      Mushroom

Re: Real time tracking of...

There is a record a a manhole cover reaching 150,000 mph, admittedly it was nuclear powered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plumbbob

6. Greenwich_Stuart

Zoom the map out...

...because Bell End is close to Lickey End

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lickey+End,+Bromsgrove/Bell+End,+Stourbridge

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: because Bell End is close to Lickey End

If you can manoeuvre the map into Brum a bit, there's "Dogpool Lane".

No guesses what the local spray can fans did every so often ....

1. caffeine addict

Or Bateman Street in Cambridge. The council seem to have given up on that one nowadays.

1. Is It Me

We have one in Oxford, but I haven't seen any graffiti on the signs for it

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Utilities are intended to be a primary customer. They should know where things are, but often don't. Mobileye will provide this data"

What they often don't know about is the stuff that's underground. Good luck with that if you rely on Mobileye.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like