back to article Microsoft's 2018, part 1: Open source, wobbly Windows and everyone's going to the cloud

It seems a lifetime (or two Windows 10 releases) ago, but 2018 started with Microsoft, and other software vendors, staring down the twin barrels of Spectre and Meltdown. The Spectre of January's Meltdown Flaws in Intel's silicon meant that Microsoft had to scramble to mitigate the vulnerability at the operating system level ( …

1. Teiwaz Silver badge

Nadella was wheeled out and asked coders to "judge us by our actions".

Rather unfortunately put.

''wheeled out' made me immediately imagine Davros.

Or was that the intention.

....Or is he really Davros

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nadella was wheeled out and asked coders to "judge us by our actions".

No, he isn't Davros: Davros had a plan.

'Judge us by our actions.' Ok, well you've gone from arguably the best version of Windows (Win7) to an unfinished, buggy mess with an awful and non-intuitive UI and with woeful quality control issues in just a few iterations and that has major updates forced on the majority of its users every six months whether they want them or not. Updates which keep breaking stuff that that has worked for years in all previous versions of Windows, which you then take months to fix unless you decide it's a vendor related issue, in which case you then expect someone else to build a new device driver to fix it, even though it's your own update which has broken it.

Oh, and all updates to Windows 7 over the past two years seem to cause more random instabilities or functionality losses for no good reason - as if you want to punish people who didn't migrate to Win10 for free when they had the chance.

And then there's Windows Phone and its subsequent abandonment.

I'm not a coder, but in my judgement you haven't a fucking clue!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Nadella was wheeled out and asked coders to "judge us by our actions".

'Not to be confused with "Davos".'

Well, I'm not so sure...

2. W. Anderson

Microsoft disasterous year, again

What is so intriguing about this story and several others on Microsoft in last 6 months or so, is that in one article about Microsoft developing System tools for Linux (strange), which Linus Torvalds thought was presumptuous since Redmond never had deep expert experience on any critical Linux kernel issues, one commenter chose to deride Linus as less knowledgeable about Linux than Microsoft Senior software developer of Linux system Tools.

Even when I challenged this commenter about the logic and sheer gall of thinking that a Microsoft engineer knew more about Linux than the creator and maintainer of Linux kernel, he blew his stack and declared Microsoft as best Operating System (OS) developer on earth.

By coincidence, withing a few weeks new Windows 10 1809 update crashed hundreds of thousands of computers, and the fix to fix the fix did same some weeks later. it was even a repeat disaster performance a few weeks after that. So much for the complete lack of competence of Microsoft - in year 2018 or anytime before to be the best in software technology.

Microsoft dupes however remain loyal ignoramus-es, much like Donald Trump supporters.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: Microsoft disasterous year, again

Although I don't know if he'll be involved I believe Mark Russinovich has Linux experience. His sysinternals tools are going to be ported over and his PS tools were name so because he came from the Unix world.

1. W. Anderson

I have substantial UNIX/Linux experience, and even represented SuSE Linux out of Germany before it was purchased by an American company.

However that does not, nor can it be translated by any stretch of imagination as being more expert with Linux kernel that the "creator" of Linux - Linux Torvalds, especially as a dreaded Microsoft engineer that cannot solve Windows perpetual catastrophes.

Microsoft dupes continue to astound as completely ignorant and disconnected with reality in regard many aspects of technology, particularly and clearly in case like this.

1. Danny 14 Silver badge

the irony is that all these MS fuckups are moving people to linux that wouldnt ever have done so before. My parents were so pisses off my their windows PC slowing down they let me put ubuntu on there. Along with firefox and libreoffice they do everything they used to before. They dont bother with skype as they use their mobiles (whatsapp) to video chat.

sure, windows 10 is happily counted in MS figures as technically it was activated but it didnt stay on the laptop for long.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 S

My sister (hence AC and no face-palm icon) got a bargain laptop for my nephew and asked me to help "set it up" in advance of Xmas. Good job too, as it took a couple of hours to get the fscker running OK.

First issue was the fact is was the 'S' version. Now for a teenager the idea of not allowing him to install any old crap was really appealing, until I found that practically none of the stuff I expected was in the store (VLC yes, but not Firefox or LibraOffice, etc), so a trip to Google to find out how to get it in to usable 'normal' windows mode. After that it was not too bad, other than a couple of hours of sluggishness as it did updates (and told you very little about them), and the pain of trying to get rid of the trial stuff it came with (which did not show up in pcdecrapifier, I'm disappointed to see). I was astonished that the recovery phone number had to have the leading zero removed in order to work. I mean they had the country code in another box FFS!

Usually I'm ranting at the idiocy of GNOME developers or the systemd crew, but suddenly I found how much life sucks for the majority on Windows. How would it be for your typical parent (like my sister) with no IT background who just assumes it is all good from the box?

1. soulrideruk Bronze badge

Re: Windows 10 S

You had a field, with a pre-filled country code, you entered the 0 of your number in the next box, it wasn't accepted and that is MS fault?

You also complain about the PC vendor added crapware, and seem to be blaming that on Microsoft as well.

I'd suggest that you maybe weren't the ideal person to set their machine up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You had a field, with a pre-filled country code, you entered the 0 of your number in the next box, it wasn't accepted and that is MS fault?

It is MS fault to ask for a UK phone number (remember, it already knew it was the UK and that info was in another box) and then to expect you to edit it to drop the leading zero without any other guidance. It did not show a full international number in the box, nor did it perform any basic parsing to warn this was not valid, you know the sort of thing anyone designing a form would normally do.

As for the crapware, yes some of it was MS - for example the "trial" version of Office that is not installed as such, but pre-populated on the start menu to pretend to the end user they have it, only to find out it is really a subscription once download. Again, that is a pretty shitty trick to play on folk who might not realise it, more so when it is tied to a store that is lacking a free alternative.

1. Danny 14 Silver badge

i nave NEVER had to use a mobile number in the form of 7123 567890 rather than 07123 etc so why should I in MSland? It isnt as is the UK is a backwater emerging country with a newly established phone number system.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The problem was two fold:

1) As setting up for a child under 18 they wanted an adult number for password recovery, etc.

2) To get the fscking thing out of 'S' mode you needed to set up a MS store account, and guess what that needs?

As you note, it is unusual to the point of stupid to ask for a number that is not either local (07....) or international (+44 7...) and certainly not to check for a leading 0 (maybe just deleting it as needed?) or to at least make it clear what sort of number was acceptable. A pox on them all!

2. Timmy B Silver badge

"i nave NEVER had to use a mobile number in the form of 7123 567890 rather than 07123 etc so why should I in MSland? It isnt as is the UK is a backwater emerging country with a newly established phone number system"

Never phoned a UK number from outside of the UK? That's when you drop the leading zero and replace it with the country code. I write code to talk to a myriad of SMS providers and they all do it differently. The fact that MS do something in another way again isn't shocking or unexpected to me.

1. Danny 14 Silver badge

no i havent and why should I have to? I assume the software was UK software? Last time I set up windows it came with £ not # and " plus @ on the correct keys.

2. Nolveys Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: Windows 10 S (The "S" Stands For SssssssFUN!)

I can't get the VPN software to work.

Okay, just get TeamViewer going and I'll take a look...

4. J J Carter Silver badge
    Windows

In the real world.

2018 was the year my shoppe rolled out 4,000 Windows 10 laptops & 4,000 Intune managed mobis putting everyone on Office 365, migrating mail, Skype and SharePoint from on-prem servers. End users happy and Teams use going to the moon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In the real world.

At my orkplace, most stuff got migrated into the Microsoft cloud, the Windows admins like it - but not something I have to worry about being the Unix admin (grateful for small mercies) except where it decides not to send an email that has to go out as a matter of urgency, letting it languish in my outbox instead and not notify me of the fact. Our Skype remains on-prem as our phone system is more complicated than some, and we're not wanting to use Microsoft's PSTN interconnect (or, God forbid, port our number blocks to them).

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
    1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Re: nice summary so far

Well given the article only covers the first 6 months of 2018, I suspect theres enough material covering M$'s failures in the 2nd 6 months of 2018 for another 3 articles....

Perhaps sending the Challenger disaster report to M$ might be a good idea, if only to show what happens when management with preset ideas think they know better than the engineers that designed the thing and the laws of physics...

6. Walter Bishop Silver badge
    Mushroom

The flaws in Intel's silicon?

Flaws in Intel's silicon meant that Microsoft had to scramble to mitigate the vulnerability at the operating system level

Intel and Microsoft Collaboration 04:39: “the significant effort put into virtualization technologies by Intel and Microsoft is clearly visible in the end results

1. W. Anderson

Re: The flaws in Intel's silicon?

Yes, but Microsoft even made a cock-up of the Spectre and Meltdown fixes via Operating System (OS) software, as clearly explained and declared by Linus Torvalds, since Linux did not, nor does notcontinue to experiences the failures of Windows in that regard.

So much for having Intel to blame for all the Windows catastrophes.

7. arctic_haze Silver badge

Anus horribilis, indeed.

Or something like that. Forgive me my Latin spelling.

This was the year I decided to stop updating my Windows 7. The risk of bricking the box is much greater than the security threat if you do not use a Microsoft browser and hide the Windows behind a real firewall.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anus horribilis, indeed.

" Forgive me my Latin spelling."

Nope, I think you have it correct!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Anus horribilis, indeed.

"Nope, I think you have it correct!"

Forget the downvote. I think you have it correct that the OP has it correct.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019