back to article US elections watchdog says it's OK to spend surplus campaign cash on cybersecurity gear

The US Federal Election Commission has officially voted to allow members of Congress to use their campaign funds on cybersecurity protection. The ruling means that senators and House reps will be able to purchase things like anti-malware subscriptions, two-factor authentication tokens and secure home routers with leftover …

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Well... Wyden and maybe 5 others will end up secure (or more secure). As for the rest... they'll spend the money on "buddies" who will secure the equipment or maybe hire a security guard to handle security. I swear some are that dense and would hire a security guard (in uniform, etc.) to watch their computers.

As a question though, why didn't Congress, vote to appropriate funds from the Federal Budget for money in the first place? It would be a perk that lets them spend the war chest on something else like.. oh, I don't know... meet and greats or road trips to see how things are done in warm climes.

1. DougS Silver badge

Or worse

They'll hire Rudy Guliani to "secure" them.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

The ruling means that senators and House reps will be able to purchase things like anti-malware subscriptions, two-factor authentication tokens and secure home routers with leftover campaign money after they take office.

Are... You ... Telling ... Me... that they could not do it before???

I need to go grab two rolls of kitchen paper. My coffee is all over the desk and the keyboard.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Whaaaaaaaaaat?

My thoughts exactly.

I do wish I could upvote that 10 times at least.

2. GnuTzu Bronze badge
      Megaphone

Re: Whaaaaaaaaaat? -- The Political Dream World

Outrage absolutely justifiable. How was this ever a question? They should have said: "if you thought you couldn't spend campaign funds on cyber security, then you were in serious danger of having your asses sued to the wall." This is absolute proof that politicians are living in a dream world where reality has no representation--and therefore, politicians are utterly unable to represent anyone that lives in reality.

3. G Olson
      Joke

Re: Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Shouldn't all government data, especially candidate for office, be completely open and accessible to the public? This security thing is going way too far.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"We need to ask..."

... if those Senators and soon-to-be-exposed-to-corruption newbies are capable of handling security.

Because there is nothing that I have heard so far about politicians that makes me believe that could be the case.

4. Aodhhan Bronze badge

Another Investment Opportunity for Congress

Love it when Europeans think they have a handle on how politics work in the USA.

What this means is: now every member of Congress will have one of their buddies start up a cybersecurity firm (which of course, they themselves will heavily invest in). Then the senator or representative will hire this firm and funnel excess cash to their friends.

They really don't care if their website or network gets pwned or not. They just want to be able to funnel money so they can make money.

1. RobertLongshaft

Re: Another Investment Opportunity for Congress

You do realise this is EXACTLY how politics works within the European Union, don't you?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

"You do realise this is EXACTLY how politics works within the European Union, don't you?"

Of course, in England we would do it differently, we'd use the campaign funds to attend a five week course on home router security at a five star hotel in the Bahamas, security affects the whole family so the wife, kids, and girlfriend would attend too.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Love it when Europeans think they have a handle on how politics work in the USA.

We do. At least some of us - those who have had enough contact with Eastern Europe and Russia.

That is the standard modus operandi all the way up to prime ministers in some of the countries so nothing new here. No I am not pointing fingers at people who properly share their [Hračky | Játékok | Играчки ¦ Игрушки] with their relatives and in-laws. Each of us knows a few.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, they'll just hire foreign born spies to do their IT...Awan for example. They can even cost share so all the secrets of the group can be compromised simultaneously....

Why again do we need these guys to handle this themselves? Are they going to be more competent than

some TLA provided service (after all, they've shown they spy on all congress already and know all the secrets, but somehow never bust anyone for their corruption).

Failing that, why should each incoming member have to start this complex task over? Why should the people who just lost office - usually because the voters passed judgement that they were unworthy - be able to keep any of that "gear" that we paid for?

Just wipe it, like with a cloth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019