back to article Kubernetes caretaker auditions for Hoarders; takes in another open source project

At the Cloud Native Computing Foundation's (CNCF) KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America 2018 meetup on Tuesday, the CNCF revealed it will adopt, shelter and nourish an itinerant jumble of letters known on the street as "etcd." Pronounced "et-cee-dee" among those who dare speak its name, etcd is a distributed key-value store. …

1. rmullen0

Why would anyone want to use any of this?

Speaking of normal people being baffled, I have no idea why anyone would want to use microservices, Docker, or Kubernetes. As far as I'm concerned doing software development like that is just insanity. I'm starting to think that people are just lemmings all too willing to follow fellow idiots off a cliff doing things that make absolutely no sense. It is group think and brainwashing if you ask me. It is all designed to make corporations like Microsoft and Amazon more money.

1. really_adf

Re: Why would anyone want to use any of this?

Like anything "new" it's almost a given that these things are being used, and certainly pushed, where (traditional) alternatives would be better, but as a partial answer: microservices can be used to support scaling; implementing them using Docker containers means you can scale quickly, and if using containers at scale, you need something like Kubernetes to manage it.

I'm yet to be convinced problems in my domain would be useful to build as microservices. I find Docker is useful for some things though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kubernetes solves the problem of managing microservices, which in turn solve the problem of not using microservices, which are trending on twitter right now

3. Tom 38 Silver badge

It might seem like a load of extra nonsense, but when done right, docker and k8s actually contribute greatly to software development.

docker/docker-compose allow you to run development instances in the same environment everywhere, to run on your own laptop/servers all of the stack needed to run/develop your application.

docker registries allow you to reuse images, with very little configuration required.

CI/CD allows you to automate testing and certain quality control measures to ensure quality improvements, automate the production of docker images to use in production, and ensures what gets deployed in production is what was tested

k8s allows you to manage deployment of these services, exposing the various parts of the application to each other.

It makes it much simpler to build things.

wrt to microservices, here's a concrete example. Say you want to add a feature to your web app that generate a PDF from some HTML. That's a pretty common task, and pretty straightforward - there are any number of libraries to do it, you can also just use a web browser. That's just a few weeks/months work for a competent developer. Or you could use a gotenberg docker image. Need more scalability? Update one number in one file and re-run kubectl. Want to know

Need more sophisticated controls than that? Use something managed, like BlueOcean k8s. Don't want to spend money on "stupid cloud" stuff? Run kublr and run on your own metal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019