back to article Spectrum-starved Wi-Fi vendors look at DSRC band, sharpen knives

A mostly-unused slice of radio spectrum set aside for connected cars in 1999 could soon be shared with Wi-Fi, with the Federal Communications Commission seeking comment on the future of the 5.9 GHz band. On Monday, the FCC presented the results of tests conducted by Cisco, Qualcomm, KEA Tech, Broadcom, and CAV technologies to …

1. A.P. Veening

Playing nice

"The vendors and the FCC now agree on the most important requirement if two applications are sharing spectrum: Wi-Fi kit can reliably detect if there are DSRC signals present, and back off so as not to interfere with vehicle communications, if there are any."

And now for the practical implementation:

Some vendor will decide that playing nice with those mostly absent DSRC signals is just adding unnecessary complexity and related costs to the product, so decides to skip it.

Good luck finding that vendor after the inevitable car crash.

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

Re: Playing nice

Vendors tend to ignore all bands that are region specific anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Testing be buggered

It'll come down to how much Ajit gets Pai d

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

They seriously want to use a technology based on correct co-operation in a *safety* environment?!

Hows does it handle the "hidden transmitter" problem, especially in an urban environment?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang On a Moment...

I hope that they're going to be paying going rates for the spectrum allocation (I've no idea whether the USA charges for spectrum allocations).

Initially at least WiFi used the already allocated free to use 2.4 GHz band. Intruding into other people's bands, even on a detect and desist basis, sounds like it's getting a free ride. Why can't the actual band owner get the same benefit?

1. DougS Silver badge

Re: Hang On a Moment...

The US charges for spectrum allocations only when they are held by a specific company, like they did when spectrum was auctioned to cellular providers. They don't do it when it is dedicated to a specific industry or specific use like the DSRC band. Who would they bill?

They don't charge TV/radio stations for the channel they were allocated, even though they are held by a specific station, but stations have various public interest requirements they have to meet to maintain their license to broadcast on that channel.

5. MachDiamond Silver badge

They'll be plenty

If I get a car that's "connected", that's the first bit that's coming out so don't factor me in the bandwidth calculations.

1. joed

Re: They'll be plenty

while it sounds like a great idea, deriding the car off the radio bits is not an easy thing. Not even in fairly crude today's implementations

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019