back to article Oz comms minister muses that 'net might need more regulation

Australia's communications minister Mitch Fifield has hinted at further regulation of the internet, in a speech delivered last night to the Sydney Institute. This time around, the minister is looking at news publications and platforms, the subjects of an ongoing Australian Competition and Consumer Commission review launched in …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Regulate, monitize, control and dominate

Free market my arse!

3. onefang Silver badge

“Australians should be able to control their online footprints and their personal data.”

Except when the government wants to slurp.

I was also gonna comment on King Rupert, but the article did that itself.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beginning of the end

All governments of the world hate the open and free internet and would give anything to either gain full control of it or shut it down completely and it looks like the insidious creep has started.

5. FozzyBear Silver badge
    Flame

He also vaguely hinted at government concerns about “offensive or harmful content”,

I wonder if these frickin' morons are irony impaired. That statement sent me into vapour lock.

Every comment, criticism, proposal and legislative change about tech (including the latest crypto law face palm) they have worked on in the last 10 years from the likes of conroy, turnbull, brandis and now this friggin' Muppet is OFFENSIVE to anyone with a brain and a clue, It has HARMED our international standing and will harm the economy.

The federal Election can't come quick enough, with any luck we can elect in a dancing monkey. It has to be less embarrassing then the current bunch of wankers

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019