back to article Using Microsoft's Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations? Using Skype? Not for long!

Microsoft has flung out an advisory for some of its on-premises Dynamics 365 customers. Integrated Skype? Turn it off. Turn it off now. The issue, which could stop a user being able to sign in, affects Microsoft's Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations in an on-premises environment. A "refactoring" in the way Skype …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope both users take notice.

2. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Windows

In other words, "we broke it. We can't be bothered to fix it."

Same old Microsoft...

3. Spudley

A "refactoring" in the way Skype authenticates its users has been blamed.

If you change how something works, then what you've done is not refactoring.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"If you change how something works, then what you've done is not refactoring."

Unless you refactor it so it's easier to break.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

"face the wrath of bean-counters"

It is high effing time beancounters faced the wrath of sysadmins.

1. Spanners Silver badge
      Pint

Re: "face the wrath of bean-counters"

It is high effing time beancounters faced the wrath of sysadmins.

That would, over a few years, be the total end of Microsoft as a business. MS is only the force it is today because they took lots of IT illiterate executives out for treats, "special seminars", golfing weekends etc. I was too far down the tree to influence much of the IT response but I saw people further up very much against it being told that this was what we were doing, because it was "better". They are there because beancounters put them there.

It would not instantly be the end of MS but it will be certain to end up out of its dominant position and Bill Gates will need to sell his stock it he wants to stay in the worlds richest group...

5. D365 User

Work around

We found this issue a few months ago and reported it to Microsoft.

Should you find yourself unable to access D365FO on-prem add "?debug=true" to the end of your URL, it bypasses the skype integration check that causes the problem. Only permanent fix is to install KB4091763 (PU12) and disable the skype integration setting in System Admin > Client performance options.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Stevie Silver badge

Bah!

Nice Ghostbusters reference there Mr Speed.

8. Griffo

Backwards Compatibility

Say what you will about MS, they are normally overly focused on software backwards compatibility. Often to their own commercial detriment. I wonder if a security flaw with the old authentication method was found that forced their hand.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019