back to article Fancy Bear still Putin out new modules for VPNFilter malware

Cunning malware VPNFilter remains under active development, and is acquiring ever more dangerous features. That's the conclusion Cisco's Talos Intelligence security team reached after delving into recent samples and identifying seven “third-stage VPNFilter modules that add significant functionality to the malware”. VPNFilter …

1. msknight Silver badge

Some devices are unpatchable.

I won't name names, but I contacted the manufacturer of some of those devices on the list, only to be told that they are no longer in production and won't be patched... at all.... ever.

Good luck with that.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Some devices are unpatchable.

The manufacturer will be happy to sell you a new unpatchable device - that's the way we're going ... just throw it away and buy a new one.

1. Robert Helpmann?? Silver badge
        Childcatcher

... just throw it away and buy a new one.

What are they? Telecom companies?

2. JohnG Silver badge

Some may be able to find some open source firmware for their device but this is not a solution that normal users are likely to take. Most normal users just use their devices, rarely/never check for firmware updates and don't read articles about network device vulnerabilities.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't be surprised...

if this is being spread by dodgy Android apps.

Most all Android apps scan the surrounding wifi connections and neighboring routers as well as search for any active bluetooth connections nearby.

I have seen dodgy "security" apps that actively test the DNS of the connected router that listed ALL the infected IP's from Brazil..

Wouldn't be too big a stretch for a repackaged app installed on a device that is connected to the users wifi to launch similar attacks.

(Insider threat indeed)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019