back to article IT bosses worried about network security reckon AI Jesus can save them, says Oracle survey

IT bosses are crossing their fingers that biometrics and artificial intelligence will save them from security vulnerabilities that can emerge from an ever expanding corporate network. That's the conclusion Oracle has come to based on a June 2018 survey it carried out of almost 300 tech decision-makers, which found that infosec …

1. JetSetJim

Lots of publications around on AI for network security analysis - although I suspect that at the end of the day it all boils down to lists of parameterised patterns of acceptable traffic flows.

I wonder if the new buzz phrase will end up being "SecOps"

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Very similar to a meme/joke I came across a while ago:

A programmers take on AI: A few more if statements have been added.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI

Matthew 24:5 has relevance then?

Or Luke 21:8!

1. Mayday
      Meh

Re: AI

I don't care enough to look either of those up.

1. Jarndyce

Re: AI

In derivation:

"For many shall come in my name, saying, I am AI; and shall deceive many"

3. cbars Bronze badge

Biometrics

69% use Biometrics? What? Who are these people and what are they doing that helps secure networks? Does this just mean people accessing email on their iPhones using fingerprint/FaceId?

"69% of respondants have thrown away passwords and instead are just using usernames, encoded as biometric data points"

seriously, I am curious! A fingerprint scanner to allow HTTPS through the corporate firewall......?

1. Giovani Tapini

Re: Biometrics

Biometric is just a password.

Depending on the metric can be forged, duplicated, or sliced off/out of its owner with varying degrees of difficulty.

I thought the 2FA was the element that was bringing demonstrable benefits in threat reduction anyway.

1. cbars Bronze badge
        Headmaster

Re: Biometrics

I almost agree, except biometrics are usernames which cannot be changed. They identify, they don't authorise. Passwords are secret, faces aren't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like