back to article Cover up your privates: Linux distro Tails drops a new version

The Amnesic Incognito Live System (Tails) got a version bump to 3.9 this week and if you’re a user, grab it as soon as you can since it fixes a multitude of security issues as well as adding some handy features. Version 3.9 featured a slew of Linux fixes, including the all-important mitigations for flaws in Intel’s CPUs. Being …

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

I knew the NSA took an interest in people searching for Tails since at least 2012. Apparently they still cared in 2016. To be certain of getting onto a (really big) watch list, go to the Tails web site.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Tails website is blocked by the MacAfee proxy. Ironic.

2. J27

There is a certain section of hell reserved for people who include prepositions in their acronyms.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Mushroom

I'm on a List?

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!"

Courtesy of Patrick McGoohan.

1. TechDrone
      Big Brother

Re: I'm on a List?

Good evening Number Six. Did we sleep well?

1. onefang

From what I understand, I'm on the list of security risks at the local supreme court, for turning up to jury duty barefoot. Does that count?

2. Stoneshop
      Thumb Up

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered, not signed in triplicate,

sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, not subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally not buried in soft peat and recycled as firelighters."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great idea, compromised right at its heart by insisting on using systemd, which presents an enormous attack surface, has numerous security issues and has never undergone any kind of security audit.

1. onefang

"Great idea, compromised right at its heart by insisting on using systemd,"

There's a Devuan based distro called heads that does a similar job, if you want to avoid systemd.

https://heads.dyne.org/

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Heads also still runs on 32-bit hardware.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Great idea, compromised right at its heart by insisting on using systemd

Glad to see others are paying attention.

So this version of Tails can let users do a "sudo apt-get install facebook -y"?

I haven't looked at Tails in a while, has anyone checked to see what default trust certificates come pre-loaded?

1. David Shaw

Re: Great idea, compromised right at its heart by insisting on using systemd

I was handing out TAILS live-DVD's at an open day a few years ago and someone rapidly deployed HUMINT to talk to me for an hour (how do I install it, do I have to put it in the coffee-cup holder, which way up? etc etc), just to stop me handing more DVDs out!

I remain astonished. [I was suggesting that the DVDs should be used for secure home banking, this was *not* the revolution that you were looking for]

TOR at the time had unique multiple fingerprint stained traffic(*) so I guess *they* just didnt want to dilute real exciting 'colorful' stuff with random users.

(*) in 2011 Tor claimed that their software protected users in two ways: i) Tor protects your communications from ``traffic analysis;'' and ii) Tor provides ``anonymity.'' Neither of these was always completely true.

Tor uses/used a public key exchange protocol called Diffie-Hellman to establish an initial encrypted connection between the user and an ``entry node.'' However, the parameters to this exchange -- which were sent unencrypted on the wire -- were chosen to be those defined as the ``Second Oakley Group'' (RFC 2409). No other web software used/uses these parameters. Thus, if traffic on the wire is observed to be communicating these parameters, it is almost certainly traffic generated by Tor. In other words, the use of these specific parameters was a unique signature which identifies Tor traffic from all other encrypted traffic

Another TOR bugdoor of that era, around TOR version 0.2.1 of the stable branch

Tor uses/used SSL to secure communications between Tor nodes and clients. When a Tor client wishes to connect to a Tor node (including `bridge' nodes), the node presents the client with an SSL Server Certificate. The problem is that the Common name field in this certificate is literally gibberish. The Tor node fills this field with a domain name generated at random, i.e. one that does not actually exist. For example, a typical Common Name field in a Tor node SSL Server Certificate could be ``www.s4ku5skci.net'' If one were to try to resolve this domain (e.g. using the command `nslookup http://www.s4ku5skci.net'), an error would be returned, since this is not a real domain name. Recall that SSL Server Certificates are/were sent unencrypted on the wire -- before an encrypted connection is established.

This behaviour (filling certificate fields with gibberish) is unique to Tor, i.e. no other SSL-capable server software does this; not Apache or any of its derivatives, not Microsoft's IIS, not Oracle's iPlanet... Even self-signed SSL Server Certificates (used by people who cannot afford one signed by a Certificate Authority) typically contain either an IP address in the Common Name field, or an empty Common Name field.

Therefore, all an ISP or government observer would need to do to unmask Tor traffic is to look for connections where SSL Server Certificates are/were being sent (this is trivial with DPI technology), attempt to resolve the domain(s) in the Common Name field, and if that fails, mark that connection as being Tor traffic, or block it altogether.

A third 'bugdoor' of the time

Historically, the Common Name fields in Tor SSL Server Certificates all begin with 'www.' and ended with '.net'. Simple SPAM traffic analysis tools are/were trivially adapted to identifying Tor traffic handshaking.

hopefully nowadays TOR 0.3.3.x has no bugs ;-)

I'm now focussing on renewables not security

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aha!

And let’s face it, if you’ve read this far, you’re probably on some sort of list by now anyway.

They'll never catch me! I'm wearing a mask to post this!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon