back to article NetApp puts the pedal to the metal with Plexistor

Analysis NetApp hopes to have a MAX Data server persistent memory product announced before the end of the year, with single digit microsecond latency using Optane DIMMs, and tiering data to NVMe over Fabric-attached ONTAP all-flash arrays. MAX Data, it is daring to hope, might actually be a silver bullet competition killer. …

1. Steve Chalmers

We live in interesting times

Would be interesting to see what ZUFS could do with shared Gen-Z memory across a rack or row (say 250 or 300ns latency with a native CPU interface in the early to mid 2020s, for read or write).

Of course, at those latencies, the difference between coming out the CPU's memory pipeline vs its I/O pipeline is significant, as is the management of cache hierarchy (flushes vs noncacheable regions, etc).

These are interesting times.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recovery?

In this model, how would one recover an application (from array snapshots) in a manner that will not cause coherency issues?

1. @PierreFlammer

Re: Recovery?

I think this would only be possible if they MAX Data layer takes care of snapshots. If you think about it, it's not very different from good old storage virtualization.

I'm also curious whether the MAX Data acutally tiers the data or acts as a read/write cache. I think the recent years have shown that tiering in primary storage systems isn't a smart way to implement newer and faster media.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Recovery?

It does both, according to the article. Recovery with application consistency would be a very interesting problem to address. Indeed.

3. WYSIWYG650

single digit microsecond latency FTW

This is exciting technology if it can deliver on its promise. Exadata killer comes to mind! The only head wind I see is that this technology is so far from storage you wonder if the NetApp reps will know how to sell it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unique?

"They are confident this technology is unique; no one else has it and NetApp will rule the roost"

Ahem, Vexata anyone?

Similar enough to be a competitor, especially given NetApp will undoubtedly be more expensive (despite their current sales strategy of not losing a deal on price, especially when facing off against Pure)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020