back to article Error Canada: Airline tells customers to reset mobile app after attack

Air Canada is advising customers to reset the passwords on their mobile app after the airline detected a potential network break-in. “We detected unusual login behaviour with Air Canada’s mobile App between Aug. 22-24, 2018. We immediately took action to block these attempts and implemented additional protocols to protect …

1. GnuTzu Bronze badge
    Trollface

Which is Worse:

Mobile Apps or IoT? It depends upon how much of a polish they can take. I suspect neither can.

2. tip pc Bronze badge

not good eh!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(The post is required, and must contain letters.)

3. Keef

Minimising the problem?

'There are approximately 1.7 million Air Canada mobile App user profiles, and our investigation has determined that approximately one per cent or 20,000 profiles may potentially have been improperly accessed. We are contacting potentially affected customers directly.'

If I was one of the ~1% I don't think I'd take comfort in that statement given the details leaked.

I'm not one of the ~1% and I'm still angry about it,

OK, I'm always angry, but there was a bit of an upward blip in my anger reading that shit that tries to make out it isn't really much of a problem. It really could be for someone.

1. macjules Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Minimising the problem?

So would I be. Saying things like 'only 20,000 out of 1.7m' usually means that it was more likely to be '1.68m out of 1.7m'. As for,

The lost data consisted of: Aeroplan number, passport number, NEXUS number for expedited screening, known traveler number, gender, birth date, nationality, passport expiration date, passport country of issue and country of residence.

Asking someone to reset their password after that significant level of data loss is like reminding a trainer to close the stable door long after the Derby winner has bolted.

4. frank ly Silver badge

"The airline said that credit card information remains protected ..."

Is that because the airline doesn't look after your credit card data or because they do look after it but to a higher standard of security and protection?

5. wolfetone Silver badge

Blame Air Canada

Time's have changed

Their IT is getting worse

They won't obey their standards

They just want a cheaper app

Should we blame the government?

Or blame society?

Or should we blame customers wanting cheaper fares?

No, blame Air Canada, blame Air Canada

With all their beady little eyes

And flappin' heads so full of lies

Blame Canada, blame Air Canada

We need to form a full assault

It's Air Canada's fault

1. gregthecanuck
      FAIL

Company Motto

"We're not happy until you're not happy"

6. Ye Gads

Never joke about poutine

In fact, never mention it. Ever...

For the Brits: poutine is a French Canadian dish of French fries covered in cheese curds and thick gravy. People react to it a bit like they react to Marmite.

And it's one of those things that should never be talked about. The Quebecer in me says "ferme ta gueule" (and the Canadian in me politely adds "si vous plait")

Oh, and great pun

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Never joke about poutine

"People react to it a bit like they react to Marmite."

I have to admit I had it in Toronto and I didn't think it was anything special. I mean, chips gravy and cheese? That's the diet of someone from the North of England.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019