back to article Game over, machines: Humans defeat OpenAI bots once again at video games Olympics

OpenAI’s bots were knocked out of The International – the Dota 2 computer game's annual Olympics – on Thursday after they lost to human pros 2-0 in a best-of-three contest. Dota 2 is a hugely popular online battle strategy game (think Command and Conquer meets Tolkien) played by several hundred thousand people worldwide. The …

1. JDX Gold badge

I would love to hear from the humans how good they thought the AI play was.

To be able to complete closely with top pros seems a victory despite the defeat to me. It's surely only a matter of time and I doubt a lot of time at that.

1. yoganmahew

If the AI is not learning itself from its defeat, then surely it is programmed intelligence rather than artificial?

1. JDX Gold badge

>If the AI is not learning itself from its defeat, then surely it is programmed intelligence rather than artificial?

It is learning from its play.

2. asdf
      Terminator

hmm

Yay for machine learning unless your job is easy to do I guess.

2. batfink

"a team of former Chinese Dota 2 professionals"

What nationality are they now then??

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dota 2 is a hugely popular online battle strategy game

Think Command and Conquer meets Tolkien... where instead of being erudite and serene the elves are a bunch of intense, sweary orc anuses.

4. Tez

As a regular Dota player...

If I were to compare the bots to humans they appear to have good short term strategy, but if you remove their mechanical superiority they would lose to your average regular players.

Despite 180 years a day of learning they did not seem to have worked out the full extent of how the abilities work even on an individual level, let alone how they might synergise.

They exhibit the development of short term strategies, such as individual sacrifice which is interesting. However, perhaps unsurprisingly they did not show long term strategy. Even humans have difficulty connecting the cause and effect of there is a long time delay between the two, and trying to achieve that in bots does seem to be an interesting problem. I think that if they are capable of connecting appropriately long term events then they could produce interesting new strategies and compete with to humans.

1. asdf
      Trollface

Re: As a regular Dota player...

So then like a pretty good PuG team minus the bong rips and screaming kids.

5. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Coat

All Your Base Aren't Belong To Us

6. SeanC4S

For whatever reason associative memory has not been integrated with deep learning yet. The result is current AI only has the shortest of short term memory. Which is fine for Go because the current pattern on the board is all that matters. It is not fine when the game requires temporal strategy.

Anyway I don't think the situation for humans is so rosy. Dawkins says the watchmaker is blind. There are suggestions that evolution need not be so impaired:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/artificial-general-intelligence/4aKEE0gGGoA

https://discourse.numenta.org/t/does-brain-has-random-projection-machanism/1812/8

Well, that is only a hobby fun viewpoint. Up to you if you buy into it or not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon